Generator To Alternator Conversion

PostPost by: mark030358 » Mon May 16, 2005 11:51 pm

Gents,
Took Brians advice, bought a weedy 28 amp 16ACR alternator (by design!), as I dont want to over load the water pump.

However, some advice required re brackets and fan belt.

It seems the origional alternator brackets are NLA, but it seems to me as I could re-use the old generatot brackets. However, it looks like the alternator will sit a little lower as the origional brakets seems (from the manual) to be higher up. Has anyone converted to an alternator using the origional bottom bracket.? Also, the top bracket looks as though it is attached either side of the pump casing, so my second qustion is can I reuse the top bracket? Finally, fan belt diameter that is required? (preferably a halfords number if you have ione :unsure: )

Cheers
Mark
mark030358
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Tue May 17, 2005 8:33 am

Mark,
When I did my conversions I fabricated the lower brackets but I cant remember what the top adjusting brackets came from.....VW Golfs or Passats I think, I think I have some pics on my computer and will send if you want.
I fitted a Lucas alternator to the Sprint and used a Dunlop "V" belt marked:
V4302 9R40 90
I fitted a Bosch alternator to the S2 using a Goodyear Vbelt marked:
PG211 03 47 80
I had to have the Rev counter converted to negitive earth on the S2 but I think your Sprint should be negitive earth as its a late car.When you fit the alternator make sure the pully lines up with the crank and the water pump pully.
Brian.
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mark030358 » Tue May 17, 2005 9:29 am

Brian,
That would be excellent.
My email address is [email protected].

cheers
Mark
mark030358
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Tue May 17, 2005 10:25 am

I have a plus 2 running a bosch alternator and a home made bracket and Elan running the original Lucas alternator and original Lotus bottom bracket ( actually off the plus 2).

Both use a "11 A 785" belt which is a standard belt designation used by all manufacturers in addition to their part numbers and should enable you to buy from anyone.

11 mm width
A section profile
785 mm belt length

The top bracket used by Lotus was a designed with a U shape section that picked up both sides of the alloy front case. Good to minimise bending loads on the case but the metal in it was too thin and tended to fatigue failures. The Elan Factory sells a small elongated triangle shaped plate that picks up the three bolts of that side of the front case reinforcing it for the side loads from the normal bent single strip style top bracket people use which goes to the middle bolt.

regards
Rohan
In God I trust.... All others please bring data
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Hamish Coutts » Tue May 17, 2005 12:12 pm

Guys,

My alternator adjuster bracket on my twink cracked. Got a replacement one from SJ Sportscars. He also supplied the bottom bracket. Both were pretty reasonably priced.
My car is a +2 but I don't think that makes any difference - the engine block will be the same.

Regards,

Hamish.
"One day I'll finish the restoration - honest, darling, just a few more years....."
Hamish Coutts
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: sotul86 » Wed May 18, 2005 7:05 am

Hi

I?ve the bigger 18 acr in my elan and I have made a own bottom bracket, and a new stainless steel adjuster bracket .

Johan
sotul86
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: mark030358 » Wed May 18, 2005 8:20 am

Gents
Thanks for the help
Mark
mark030358
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Fri May 20, 2005 3:12 am

I used a pinto bracket ed
dont close your eyes --you will miss the crash

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: