Failsafe headlamp conversion, Spyder system

PostPost by: chrishewett » Sat Jun 11, 2005 3:33 pm

I am converting my headlamps on my +2 to the failsafe system as recomended by Andy at Spyder. After an age getting the parts I found that the two springs from the old pods were not able to hold up the headlamps. Susan Miller helped out with a thicker spring which were apparently fitted to the failsafe cars. I think that this will have the power to do the job but now the crucial question is where to mount the pod. Has anyone else attempted this conversion? Otherwise does anyone have a Spyder car with this system? it would be a great help if I could have an idea of where to fit it or better still a picture of the mounting.
On a good note, I started the engine today after overhauling the carbs and fitting new dizzy with aldon ignition and facet fuel pump, it sounded wonderful! If I can just get these headlamps working I will be on the road!
Chris
Last edited by chrishewett on Sat Jun 11, 2005 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chrishewett
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: chrishewett » Sat Jun 11, 2005 5:17 pm

[quote="chrishewett"]I am converting my headlamps on my +2 to the failsafe system as recomended by Andy at Spyder. After an age getting the parts I found that the two springs from the old pods were not able to hold up the headlamps. Susan Miller helped out with a thicker spring which were apparently fitted to the failsafe cars. I think that this will have the power to do the job but now the crucial question is where to mount the pod. Has anyone else attempted this conversion? Otherwise does anyone have a Spyder car with this system? it would be a great help if I could have an idea of where to fit it or better still a picture of the mounting.
On a good note, I started the engine today after overhauling the carbs and fitting new dizzy with aldon ignition and facet fuel pump, it sounded wonderful! If I can just get these headlamps working I will be on the road!
Chris[/quote]
chrishewett
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: niallf » Sat Jun 11, 2005 9:57 pm

I think the pod bolts into the reinforced hole where the original pod was bolted, with a reinforcing plate bolted from underneath. The idea is that this is offset to one side, but attached to a bar that connects the two pods in tandem. The springs also attach to that pod.

This is what Andy described to me when I asked him.

HTH

Niall.
niallf
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: simon.mitchell » Sun Jun 12, 2005 7:56 am

Chris,

There's a pic at http://www.lotuselan.info/images/Light%20Pod.jpg which should help. If you had a two pod system I think you'll need to drill some new holes for the new single pod as IIRC it's in a different place. The position should be fairly obvious once you've installed the Spyder bar between the headlights. Interesting about the original springs not being strong enough to hold the headlights up - I had exactly the same problem when I converted mine from non-failsafe and I had to add an extra spring to pull the lights up. Should have asked here first!

Simon
simon.mitchell
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: chrishewett » Sun Jun 12, 2005 12:06 pm

Thanks for that, a great help. I tried the pod in the old hole but it is not anyway close enough to fit the spring. The picture doesnt show any bracket on the pod but I think this will be needed otherwise the pressure of the spring tends to twist it.
I will keep the forum informed of progress.
Chris
chrishewett
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: