distributor change

PostPost by: bengalcharlie » Fri Jun 24, 2005 12:18 am

Hi ,

Is there an alternative distributor available new or second hand to replace a 41225A ( stromberg federal)
I have changed to car from being federal to standard stromberg ( non federal carbs) with the normal balance pipe.
My cilinder head has big valves but standard compression ( letter S imbossed in head)

A bosch alternative would be great to replace the lucas unit.
I have had already a ignitor system installed to the excisting didtributor but I am looking for better options.

Robin
bengalcharlie
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: steveww » Fri Jun 24, 2005 8:41 am

I guess you are in the USA. There are plenty available here in the UK from the usual suppliers. Perhaps it might be worh importing one?
steveww
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bengalcharlie » Sat Jun 25, 2005 9:45 am

Many thanks Steve,

I am located in NZ but the car came from the US.
In the meantime I did take the distibutor of the car and I have taken off the vacuim retard system and screwed the to base plates together so no retarding can occur.the advance I am getting seems to be ok. :D
I did run the car today and it runs fine so all is well.
I also spoke to the lotus mecanic overhere and he told me that you can use the lucas 43D4 or 45D4 which were used in austin princess and marina's.
you still have to adjust the advance curve according to the carbs you use etc..
bengalcharlie
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Sat Jun 25, 2005 6:34 pm

Robin,
You could use any of the Lucas distributors of the period, Anglia, Cortina,Capri etc but most were fitted with a vac. advance unit and the T.C. was not, obviously the advance curve would not be correct.,
The BMC engines also had the Lucas distributors but with a different drive gear but it can be changed. The Cooper S had a distributor without the vac advance and I believe a very simlar advance curve.
Some of the Ford Xflow engines had a Bosch distributor but they also had a vac advance and would work even though the advance curve is not correct for a T.C.
Brian
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: