radio size??

PostPost by: thor » Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:09 am

Have a +2S on the way, in which there was an original Turnolock radio. Will a classic radio of this size fit the opening?

MEASURES 7 INCHES (17.9CM) BY 1.7 INCHES (4.3CM) BY 4.75 INCHES (12CM)

(an amazing Becker Monza in chrome, with FM, as in mercedes, ferrrari dino etc.. in the 60's !)

Thor
thor
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Mon Jul 18, 2005 4:46 pm

Will fit like a glove
Happy motoring
John
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: v7slr » Wed Jul 20, 2005 6:03 pm

I'm about to buy a +2 and wondered what the two slots were for, and whether a standard sized stereo would fit the larger upper one.

If not, would it be terrible to open up the upper slot to accommodate a modern unit? Would be nice to have a CD player in it for cruising across Europe.
v7slr
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Hamish Coutts » Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:05 am

You may find that there is not enough depth between the dash and the gubbins in behind (I think, the heater box) to accommodate a modern unit. It may protrude a good 1 to 1? inches from the front of the dash.
Why not get an minidisc/MP3 player & load your music onto that. I did this with my +2. Fitted a small amplifier (100w) in the boot and provided a socket inside the car for the line out lead. Works a treat with my minidisc player. Can use the original car radio too - without ruining the dash. Another advantage is that thieves don't really want an am turnlock radio (doubt if they know what it is) they're only interested in the modern glittery stuff.

Regards,

Hamish.
"One day I'll finish the restoration - honest, darling, just a few more years....."
Hamish Coutts
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: v7slr » Thu Jul 21, 2005 1:45 pm

Thanks. I hadn't really considered where the heater matrix would be. Makes sense.

I don't suppose there's any room behind the central part of the dash, even a bit lower down? I mean the dash is likely to be in poor condition anyway so I was going to replace it. The company that produces them will cut holes wherever I ask them to. I'm not *that* bothered about originalilty over convenience, so if there was room around where the ashtray was to install a stereo that would kill two birds in one go (non smoker).

I'd them ask them to leave the original stereo hole uncut. The space might be useful for something else one day.
v7slr
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: niallf » Sat Jul 23, 2005 8:26 am

It is possible to modify the heater box, see...
http://community.webshots.com/album/243456459vHFsHa

Not sure what this has done to the efficiency of the heater yet.

Niall
niallf
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: v7slr » Sat Jul 23, 2005 8:47 pm

Yes, thanks for that. As per my post regarding aircon, I think I'll end up junking the original heater in favour of a combined heater and aircon unit. It's about the size of a cornflakes packet. I can't quite see from the pictures how much room there is behind the dash. Is it likely I'll get something that size in place of the standard heater? If so, I imagine my chances of getting a stereo there too are knackered. :?
v7slr
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: