wiring question

PostPost by: Stuart72Sprint » Sun Jul 24, 2005 8:20 pm

I am tidying up the wiring in my 72 (US) Elan, but got a bit carried away in my enthusiasm and would appreciate some assistance. (Electrics are not my thing)

After removing some under-dash additions taped in by the PO, I am back to what appears to be the original harness, which attaches to the two terminals on the brake pedal switch. There are three wires from the loom - (1) green with spade terminal, with another green wire approx 18 inches long ending in another spade terminal (2) green/purple (3) green/light green.

The tach isn't working (it was before my latest ministrations) and is missing a power connection, which would seem to to be the green secondary lead? Only thing is that it seems a bit of a stretch to the tach feed. The green/light green seems to be a more natural fit, but according to the wiring legend, this is the handbrake switch to warning light (which is this??? - none of the warning lights work, except for the ignition) so that doesn't seem to make sense.

Either way, I have 4 connections to find a home for, two of which are clearly on the brake switch and one on the tach. No clue where the fourth belongs...

At least it's looking neater.....but can anyone help before I fry something?

Stuart
Stuart72Sprint
New-tral

PostPost by: Stuart72Sprint » Sun Jul 24, 2005 9:15 pm

OK - a beer break and bit of re-routing suggests the green secondary wire goes to the tach, but I would appreciate some direction on the green/light green wire.

Cheers

Stuart
Stuart72Sprint
New-tral

PostPost by: types26/36 » Sun Jul 24, 2005 9:27 pm

Stuart,
The Lucas wiring code states that a Green wire with light green trace is used for the "Hazard flasher unit to hazard pilot lamp"
If you want the wiring code PM me with your email.
Brian.
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: crannyr » Tue Jul 26, 2005 11:52 pm

Stewart. I just finished a complete rewire of mt 72 Plus 2. Same basic layout behind the dash. There are several variations of the Federal harness that are not in print but most of the color codes are common and can be figured out. Email me and I should be able to help you sort yours. If you are in the States and want to call let me know.

Rick
crannyr
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: