Fitting the radio

PostPost by: ElanontheWolds » Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:06 pm

This should be obvious, but has me foxed. I have the original radio (Radiomobile). I have the dashboard with a hole to accept said radio. How does the one attach to the other? Should there be some brackets, or a cage? I've searched my boxes of bits that were removed in the dim and distant past at the start of that 'quick rebuild' and not come up with anything. I also spent too long on my knees at Donnington yesterday searching through boxes of miscellaneous parts under tables, without success. Can someone please put me out of my misery and reveal the secret?
ElanontheWolds
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Bill » Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:33 pm

I had to pull my Radiomobile from my 1600 for repair a couple of years back, as I recall I was able to get at the bracket fastening screws without pulling the dash (finger gymnastics - pull out speedo). I had to carefully trim the dash hole to give clearance for the assembly screw heads on the outside of the radio case to slide it out and then back in, the radio finish bezel covers the work just fine. If I recall I slid it back in with a soft piece of foam glued to the back to support it to sit on the top of the heater plenum, the front facia assembly holds it in place.

I have had to pull the dash several times in the 45 + (oh my God) years I have owned 26/0538 - not my most enjoyable task.

Worked for me and no dash re/re frustrations,

Keep your stick on the ice!

Bill -63 Elan 1600
-65 elan S2
-60 TR3
-08 Tundra TRD
Bill Rathlef
Vancouver Island, Canada
"Keep your stick on the ice, boys."
Bill
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: ElanontheWolds » Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:43 pm

Thanks, but can you describe thr bracket? Is it simple 'L' brackets screwed to the back of the dash and to the side of the radio; is it something that goes over the volume and tuning shafts of the radio? I must have pulled this radio and others many times in my youth but my memory is fading (just like AM radio!).
ElanontheWolds
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Jason1 » Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:23 pm

Hi

See my previous posting:

elan-f15/car-radio-fit-elan-t12660-15.html

Jason
50/0951 1968 Wedgewood blue +2, 1990 Mini Cooper RSP
Jason1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ElanontheWolds » Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:06 pm

As far as I can see that just provides a plate on the front of the dash. The radio already has that. What holds the radio in place?
ElanontheWolds
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Jason1 » Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:30 pm

Ah you already have the hard bit done.

I was told by the guy that sold me the radio that I needed 2 of these plates and to sandwich them between the dash, this was much too difficult to do with the dash fitted so being an ingenious fellow I made a couple of sprung tabs; See pic attached.

Much easier :D
Attachments
AA clips.JPG and
50/0951 1968 Wedgewood blue +2, 1990 Mini Cooper RSP
Jason1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:04 pm

My radiomobile radio has a right angle bracket fitted either side. Fiddly to do but can be done. I fitted the L/H side one 1st.Then slid the radio kinda sideways into the hole and fiddled/positioned it to be able to fit the R/H side bracket. Just a single fastner each side. Reposition the radio untill the brackets are tight up against the dash from behind (make sense so far?) You should have the radio in position now. If required place a bit of foam rubber or similar on the plenum to help support it. Obviously if needed do this 1st.

The radio face plate now needs fitting. Fit the plate and its gubbins then tighten the screws either side (bellow the knobs) this should clamp the dash panel 'tween the brackets and faceplate and secure the radio in place. It will not move. Then just the Knobs to fit which covers the clamping screws.

Clear as mud? Sorry..... perhaps someone can explain it better. I am better with tools than words.... :lol:

Dont panic... It will be ok.

Alex B.... 8)
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Bill » Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:17 pm

Jason and Alex have both got it right.

Bill
Bill Rathlef
Vancouver Island, Canada
"Keep your stick on the ice, boys."
Bill
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:44 pm

I had my radio all nicely fitted and working and was fitting the interior with the radio playing. :wink: Braw!! Then decided it would be good to 'program' the radio manual push button preselector thingies. All went well untill I tried to tune a station and set a button for LW. That did it. Radio now inop.!!!! Bu**er. It had to come out again and I was near suicidal (again!!) Got good at removing and refitting the radio though. This is actually quite easy to do using reversal of method above. No need to touch the dash.

Got it done yet??

Alex B....
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ElanontheWolds » Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:01 am

Thanks for the replies chaps. You have confirmed what I suspected. I'll try and knock up some brackets at the weekend.

Tim
ElanontheWolds
First Gear
First Gear

Total Online: