Harness Advice?

PostPost by: Schrodinger » Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:14 pm

Hello all!
:D
I'm about to fit a Tony Thompson/Safety Devices roll bar and also need to sort out some form of harness but can't find an ideal solution. Obviously fixed 4 point harnesses are an option but I'm a bit worried about using these for road use as I'll not be able to reach the handbrake. I was wondering if anyone else has found a solution to this, or do you just live without the handbrake?
:?
Many thanks for any help!!
:)
Schrodinger
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: type26owner » Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:18 am

I've engineered a Schroth three-point electric reel seatbelt into my baby Elan. Had to custom design the rollbar and seatbelt to fit under the ragtop. Actually the ragtop I had modified by splitting it in both the quarter windows and fastening it backup with velcro so the rollbar sticks through it at the plane of the rear fiberglass panel of the cockpit. Added the switch to disable the reel mechanism when I'm on the track. The rollbar sticks 2" above my helmet as per SCCA requirements and is as wide as the cabin. I can reach inside the glovebox with the harnesses on and most importantly operate both flaps for the cockpit heater. :D It only took me I'm guessing 100+ hours of effort to complete though.
http://www.hmsmotorsport.com/store/schroth/street-legal/autocontrol
type26owner
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: cliveyboy » Tue Aug 23, 2005 6:47 am

Keith
I want to put inertia reel harnesses in my FHC but Schroth told me the seat was too near the rear bulk head mounting point. Its a road car so I do not have a roll cage.
I did think of doing a similar idea to the MG X power SV which uses Schroth inertia harnesses but runs them through the rear bulk head.
Any advice.
Clive
cliveyboy
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: steveww » Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:04 am

In the UK the aircraft style buckels are not road legal so will not pass the MOT.

My S4 has the Spyder roll hoop and sill bars installed. I use a 4 point FIA spec harness that I got from Tony Thompson, he does them specially sort for the Elan. The bottom 2 belts use the regular seat belt pick up points and the top 2 belts go to pick up points where the rear brace meets the suspension turrets. The only problem is that the lap belts sit too high up the body to be ideal. Really need a 5 or 6 point harness but I have yet to find a suitable solution to how to provide the extra pick up points.

I leave the standard 3 point lap-diagonal belts installed but tucked behind the seats to keep the MOT tester happy.

When strapped in to the harness I do not use the handbrake. I just heel n toe for hill starts.
steveww
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: type26owner » Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:59 pm

Clive,
I'll direct you to some pictures of my installation later today. Really without it being a DHC and doing exactly what I've done there isn't anyway to install these belts. Perhaps an additional subframe in the boot would work but at great effort. I personally believe the harness and rollbar should be a package deal only. Having a restraint that keeps you upright in a rollover without a rollhoop is just asking for trouble.
type26owner
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Schrodinger » Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:42 pm

Thanks for the helpful comments!

Keith, interesting to see the option you took for the harnesses - I've looked at the Schroth harnesses but can't see an obvious way of mounting them to the rollbar I have, I'd really appreciate seeing any pics you have of your installation.
:)

Steve, I almost bought the Tony Thompson harnesses when I bought the rollbar, but I just wasn't sure about the handbrake issue. I'm still not sure how big a deal it is, in fairness the handbrake isn't the greatest anyway so I already heel and toe on steep hills - but I'm just not sure if it's an ideal permanent solution
:?

Out of interest, do the harnesses and your existing three point belts both now use the same lower mounting points? As you say I'll need to retain the original belt and I've heard that using the same mounting for both is frowned upon, but don't know if there's any truth in that at all?
:?:
Schrodinger
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: type26owner » Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:00 pm

http://briefcase.yahoo.com/[email protected]
Look in the folder called 'Elan Rollhoop". The pictures don't show the lower electric reels mounted onto the hoop very well. I'll take some better pictures and put them in this folder later.

The handbrake is not all that important but can be annoying. Being able to reach the ignition switch quickly is the crucial issue. The Schroth belts don't release the reel until the engine is running. They instruct you to leave the shoulder harnesses off until the car is running. Luckily I can just reach ignition switch with the shoulder harnesses fastened and cinched up tight. This is more of a potential problem on the LHD cars though since the position of switch remains the same place regardless.
Last edited by type26owner on Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
type26owner
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Schrodinger » Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:34 pm

Hi, sorry to be a pain, but that link only takes me to my own briefcase, do you have a direct link to your pics?
Schrodinger
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: type26owner » Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:39 pm

Oops, try it again.
type26owner
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: steveww » Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:28 am

Schrodinger wrote:Out of interest, do the harnesses and your existing three point belts both now use the same lower mounting points? As you say I'll need to retain the original belt and I've heard that using the same mounting for both is frowned upon, but don't know if there's any truth in that at all?

The bottom 2 pick up points are shared by the harness and lap belt. My MOT guy has not questioned this. The harness mounts via clip and eyelets so I can remove the harness in seconds. I know what you mean about the handbrake, it is good enough to pass the MOT but not very good at holding the car on a hill. Always park in gear :o
steveww
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Schrodinger » Thu Aug 25, 2005 1:19 pm

Thanks for all of your help with this! It looks like a big job to fit those Schroth harnesses, so I've taken the easy option and just ordered myself a couple of Tony Thompson's 3" FIA spec Willans harnesses.

They certainly seem the easiest option for fitting, but I'll just have to see how I get on without a handbrake at all!

Thanks again!
:D
Schrodinger
First Gear
First Gear

Total Online: