In car entertainment

PostPost by: wparslow » Tue Sep 06, 2005 6:51 pm

Anyone have any advice regarding the fitment of modern sound systems to Elans? I have a Sprint and a +2S 130/5 and I am told there is not enough room where the original Turnlock is fitted to get a modern system in place.
wparslow
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Hamish Coutts » Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:23 pm

Correct.

I have a turnlock but would like a more modern sound system. There is not enough depth behind the radio to accomodate a modern unit without some serious work to the heater box. There are previous posts on this.
I'm investigating the possibilities around an MP3 or mini disk player and some kind of amplifier linked to the in car speakers.

Regards,

Hamish.
"One day I'll finish the restoration - honest, darling, just a few more years....."
Hamish Coutts
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Greg Foster » Tue Sep 06, 2005 11:19 pm

I have a 72+2 and have installed an RF 10CD changer in the boot. Set up a shelf and organized a fuse box for the changer and radio all mounted to the shelf (It is hung behind the right rear wheel). In the front I have a face piece which measures about 2"tall x1" deep x 6" long which can be mounted with sticky tape or left loose to be removed( for when you take the car to track day so it doesn't flop around.) The face has the on button, radio channels, all adjustment buttons, preset channel selectors etc.. A wire runs to the boot and connects up to the radio amplifier, and cd changer. There is also a wireless remote which turns on the cd system. I installed an motorized antenna which comes up when I turn on the radio.

There are basically 2 separate systems. both are SONY.... 1) The hidden radio tuner with controls ....2) the cd changer which is controlled by rf...... set the channel of the radio to a designated # and turn on the cd changer by remote. Works very well...... Except my car is all apart and body/drivetrain are being redone.
There is a place in the US called "Crutchfield", which you can find on the internet. They have all the audio equipment you need at a much cheaper price than what you can find in GB since the dollar is worth .54GBP.
I ran the wire for the faceplate under the tunnel trim and under the back right seat to the units. Everything is set up for easy access to fuses and grounds.

My equipment is out of date since I purchased close out items a number of years ago from Crutchfield. They can be very helpful in choosing a system. Plus you could set up for Satellite, mp3, minidisc etc. and I am sure other companies also produce components which would work.
Greg
Greg Foster
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: iain.hamlton » Wed Sep 07, 2005 8:05 am

I posted here recently, and am on with the work.

A previous owner had already cut the heater to increase the clearance. I am not sure about the effect on the heater because car doesn't go out if it's cold or wet.....The "damage" was already done, and i did not have to take out the dash.

I put in a piece of MDF to block the hole and to support the bottom of the radio, without rattling or stressing the dash. The old radio cassette which looks about right, but is 1980s and has FM, came from eBay. I am expecting a DC-DC converter in the post today to allow me to power the Negative earth radio cassette from the positive earth +2. All being well it will be powered up etc Thursday evening.

The major challenge is going to be sorting out interference and suppression. But it's not meant to be easy.

The radio might be audible over the sound of the exhaust, but unlikely at motorway speeds.... We will see.

Good luck and best regards, Iain
iain.hamlton
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: berni29 » Thu Sep 08, 2005 10:49 pm

Hi

With my first plus 2 I put a big amp in the boot and ran an input that terminated in a phono jack near the gearlever. I used to plug in a small casette radio,and later an MP3 player. Works a treat. I left the standard raido in the slot for looks. I will be doing the same with my current plus 2, but will be wiring in the ipod remote control pad to be near the eyeball vent on the right (UK Car) so that I can change volume/tracks easily.

Berni
Zetec+ 2 under const, also 130S. And another 130S for complete restoration. Previously Racing green +2s with green tints. Yellow +2 and a couple of others, all missed. Great to be back 04/11/2021 although its all starting to get a bit out of control.
berni29
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Hamish Coutts » Fri Sep 09, 2005 12:19 pm

Berni,

I take it that you feed the amp with the output from the headphone socket in the Ipod? How else would control the volume etc.?
The only amps I have seen do not have any sophisticated controls just a bloody great output, so it's not really advisable to use a 'line out feed'. Do you know of any other amps. Better still can you recommend an amp?
I'm trying to set up a decent sound system but keep the original turnlock and what you've done sounds just the ticket.
The only problem is who gets to play their music. She has an I pod, I have a minidisc. :?

Regards,

Hamish.
"One day I'll finish the restoration - honest, darling, just a few more years....."
Hamish Coutts
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: