Loads Of Trouble Usually....

PostPost by: JJDraper » Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:47 am

My +2 refused to start earlier in the week, with the starter solenoid making chattering clicking noises.. Oh dear I thought, this is sudden - flat battery? Used the jump leads to another car and tried again - same problem. Starter pinion jammed in ring gear? Put car in gear and rocked back and forth, check square drive on starter moves freely - try again - no change. This is getting serious, perhaps a faulty solenoid coil. Abandon car and purchase another solenoid. Fit new solenoid - no change, chattering noise. Check all earths & earth straps, all sound and tight, loosen battery terminals, wiggle them around and tighten back up. No change. Getting desperate now - abandon car for a second day. Come back with a fully charged second battery. With feed to the starter disconnected, check solenoid with battery direct - good solid click. Feed starter motor from second battery direct across the solenoid, try ignition switch - success the starter runs and the engine starts and runs happily. Stop engine and try without auxiliary battery - no, back to square one. Clear up tools, start engine with second battery; drive home. Notice that half the gauges are not working, along with rev counter and indicators - oh dear, problem must be in the Dash wiring. Next day, Saturday; I can give my full attention to the problem. Get out my trusty Avometer and do some electrical testing. Battery voltage fine at around 11.5 - 12. Start engine with second battery and check the voltage at the solenoid - Aha! Only 6.5 volts going to the ignition circuit - not enough to energise the solenoid coil.

An hour so so later, after dismantling trim and psyching myself up to remove the dash, I casually checked the voltage across the fuses - 12 volts one side, 6.5 volts on the other. Quick clean up of the heavily tarnished fuse caps with a bit of emery cloth. Replace fuses - engine starts first time.

Moral, trouble is not always Serious; it is in fact Usually Simple.

Jeremy
PS I must buy a lightweight multimeter to add to my continental touring gear!
JJDraper
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: