Dip beam converters

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:20 am

What's the best to use? I have a set of Eurolites universal reusable type. Anyone used them? Got any tips. I'm not planing even having the pods up, but need to make sure I'm Plod proof.. & ...The fitting instructions are long gone.. :?

Where's the best site for the GB sticker Where do you stick it?? :lol: :lol:

Alex... 8)
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:30 am

Alex

You sound excited!

I believe that the official recommendation is that GB stickers should be as close to the rear numberplate as possible. I suggest putting it on the rear bumper, left hand side. Since you will probably want to remove it on your return, try a light smear of Vaseline on the body (the cars, not yours) before application, should make it a whole lot easier to peel off.

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:40 am

Thanks Tim, Awkward thing to fit as I don't want to damage paint etc. Worrying!! The headlamp dip situ is a pain also. I'm just going to have a stab at it.I'll switch them on and shine them on the wall and blank off the dip as I see it. Should keep the Police happy if they stop me... :wink:

Does Vaseline not stop the sticker from sticking completely?

I will give that a go and see..
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: andyhodg » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:04 pm

Alex

If you look at the headlight and divide it into quarters you will see a different lense pattern on the loewer left quarter (looking at the front of the headlight) and this pattern should finish more or less on the horizontal centreline. It is normally roughly triangular a horizontal line near to theis centreline.

You need to stick the blank or lenze over this area of the headlight. It is perfectly acceptable to simply use pvc tape or similar over this area.

If you are struggling with my description I can take a phote this evening and post it.

Regards

Andy
andyhodg
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: 69S4 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:16 pm

Hi Alex. I put my GB sticker low down on the rear window to keep it off the paint. But .... you don't have a window, do you. :lol: The other thing I tried (and very nearly used) was to use a magnetic GB plate and attach it to the left of the boot lock with a small piece of steel plate behind the bodywork to give it something to stick to. I'd have gone with this if I hadn't found the adhesive sticker in a junk box.

Re headlamp converters, if you've got them stick them on, if not, a piece of tape to cover the bit on the dip beam that kicks up to illuminate the kerb will be ok. What headlamps have you got? If it's the std sealed beam units they don't have that so I wouldn't bother. Actually I wouldn't bother anyway. UK headlamps don't seem to annoy the French like they used to when all their lights were amber. I know you're crossing legal "T"'s but you'll never finish doing that and the headlamps are so far down the list that I never see them on UK cars even in the winter when the lights are on all day.
Stuart Holding
Thame UK / Alpe D'Huez France
69 S4 FHC
Honda GoldWing 1800
Honda CBX1000
Kawasaki H1 500
Yamaha XS2
69S4
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:33 pm

Thanks.. OK Stuart, as you say I am just trying to stay legal. I have experience of foreign plod and I do not wish to give them any cause to extract beer coupons from me. Hence the correct kit. I have an e mail off to the company who makes the Eurolites converters. I foiund the instructions for them online but needless to say they did not cover our 'older cars'. I will await their response. Drawing a blank, I will fit them at my local mot garage and use his beam setter...

Alex.. 8)
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:40 pm

Hi Andy, Thanks mate. That's just about what I thought. I will stick them onto the bottom LH corner / quadrant. I will not even have the lamps up as I probably will not be using the car after dark.. (BEER!!) :wink: Its just to stay legal in case I should get stopped for driving too slowly :roll:

Ahemmm !!

Alex.. 8)
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: andyhodg » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:56 pm

Alex

Travelling home from my last LeMans trip I had a "conversation" with a Gendarme after a minor collision with a French Moped and I wasn't asked to show headlights or any other such items. I just carry a set of deflectors in the boot and will only fit them if I get so lost I am still driving at night.

Regards

Andy
andyhodg
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:23 pm

That could be a good option Andy. Happy days though. Had a reply from manufacturers and I have sent them a digi pic of each lamp.They are coming back to me with a position marked on the pics I sent. That is their std procedure apparently

Just for the info', for all to see I will post the pic's they send in case anyone need the same information etc.

Should anything go tits up I will just fire them into the 'kit' and no doubt forget about them.. :lol:

Cheers..

Alex B.... 8)
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 69S4 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:29 pm

Alex, if all else fails you can buy them on the ferry (but you'll pay ferry rates!). Near enough is likely to be good enough as far as positioning goes. "Les flics" would have to be using CSI levels of enforcement to work out that they're a few mm left or right of optimum.
Stuart Holding
Thame UK / Alpe D'Huez France
69 S4 FHC
Honda GoldWing 1800
Honda CBX1000
Kawasaki H1 500
Yamaha XS2
69S4
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint » Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:52 pm

Guys we are in Honfleur at the moment dont forget the high viz jackets need to be carried in the cabin one of our lads bought a magnetic GB sticker not too good on the TVR
Ian
elansprint
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:29 pm

Struth! I have a nice little GB mag' 'sticker' which I bought some time ago. Thought I had a brainwave some time ago when I tried it on my Honda Pan Euro. Nah! That did not work, but I did get some cool little stick ones which I never took off as the bike was abroad most years... :)

Here is a pic' from Eurolites showing position of the converter. Stuart had it spot on. Well done that man..

The yellow jackets are in the car already and the rest of the 'kit' is in the boot under the ply floor where the spare would normaly be. :wink: But a big thanks for the heads up. Are the local Poli a bit enthusiastic?

Cheers and thanks everyone...Looking forward to meeting a few folks at the circuit etc...

Not long now.

Alex... 8)
Attachments
Elan dip converter position. Eurolite..JPG and
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Heuer » Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:16 pm

We have done about 25,000 miles through Europe (France, Germany, Austria, Switzerland) over the last 10 years in our E-Type and we have never once been bothered by the Police. This despite having no beam correctors (too difficult with cowled headlights), yellow jackets (forgot) or a GB sticker (it is RHD and made in Britain!) and travelling at speeds well beyond the posted limits on D roads. The Police tend to stare, smile and wander around the car and whilst they are curious it has nothing to do with legality. Just obey all the limits in villages and towns, stop at ALL Stop signs, don't overtake on solid lines and don't go mad on the Autoroutes especially within 50 miles of Calais.

Get off the Autoroutes as soon as possible and look for 'green' routes on the Michelin map. Any D or C road will be fast, empty, un-policed and a lot of fun. If you find a 'Bis' route they are OK but try and keep off the N roads because of the heavy trucks. Speed cameras are rare but signposted accurately in advance. Speed traps are usually set in towns or villages along N roads. They also set them up about 2km from Toll booths on the Autoroute where you will be met by an officer. Fines are on the spot (e.g. 45 euros for 25km over the 130km/h limit) so if you are going to speed take cash with you!

Smile and wave at passers by, be prepared to answer questions even in broken French, you will have a great time - just don't worry about the Police as they cut Classic Cars ("Old Timers") a lot of slack.
Elan S4 DHC
E-Type S1 OTS
E-Type S1 FHC
Heuer
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:32 pm

Thank you ?? ....

I appreciate your advice. I take all my clues from the locals. If they are going steady / slowly etc it for good reason and I do agree that its bad to speed thro the towns and villages. I never speed in built up areas anyway so no prob's there. Good to hear the Police are not to vicious...And cut the old ones some slack.

I have now stuck on the beam adjusters (I had them anyway!) and the gb plate is next. Going to try Tim's tip of Vaseline smear 1st (said the actress to the bishop!) as I do not like just applying to the paint. It might remain in the boot.

Thanks all...

Alex B.... 8)
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:25 pm

Alex, it occurs to me you are missing something. That is a GPS positioner fitted to the car which will allow all of us here to follow your every move. That would include counting how many wrong turns you make, whether you get to the correct entrance to the circuit and how far you have to walk to your tent.

We should also be able to monitor your speed and petrol consumption, as well as how many times you break down or get stopped by les flic. Furthermore, we would appreciate a regular update on you blog and, for those times when you have your beer goggles on, you should allow Carol to update us on your behalf.

Reckon you can arrange all that?

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: