Side lamps stay on

PostPost by: cdraper » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:01 am

After the winter lay up I put a battery in the Plus 2S and the low warning petrol light came on! I then turned the ignition on and the side lights come on and the low warning petrol light went out. The car starts and runs normally.
If I disconnect all wires to the side lamp rely the side lights stay on. I have checked the side light micro switch and there is a voltage supply to both sides of the switch - it therefore does nothing. Only by disconnecting the battery can I turn the side lights off and they come on when the ignitionis turned on.
The car was fitted with a new loom a couple of years ago and until now has been trouble free. Have ponder the wiring diagram but cannot figure out when the unwanted feed is comming from.
Anybody ablke to make helpful suggestions.
cdraper
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: 69S4 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:38 am

Sounds like an earthing problem. My experience has been that when bizarre cross circuit effects like this occur it's usually one circuit trying to find an earth path by feeding back through another one. If it's been working ok before it's unlikely that there's a feed side fault. I'd be having a close look at the bullet connectors and chassis bolts on the earth side.
Stuart Holding
Thame UK / Alpe D'Huez France
69 S4 FHC
Honda GoldWing 1800
Honda CBX1000
Kawasaki H1 500
Yamaha XS2
69S4
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: cdraper » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:16 am

Have checked the earth connections from the bullet connectors on the lamps to the engine (good earth). Have excellent continuity, also the dashboard earthing connection - could it be sticking in the ~Regular/cutout box? Also there is a brown wire connected to the front fuse box - shown on the wiring connection diagram and correctly connected on my new loom - but no brown wire is shown on the circuit plan - where does this one go? Agree it is probably a bad earth or a sticking "something" but have run out of ideas of where to look. Am in France and Lotus Electric specials probably exist somewhere - but not near me!!
cdraper
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:11 pm

When you say

"I have checked the side light micro switch and there is a voltage supply to both sides of the switch -"

this prompts me to assume that if you tested with the wires connected then the switch is operated/faulty?

If you tested with wires disconnected then you have a "back-feed" of voltage through the lamps--earth fault

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: neilsjuke » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:07 pm

Remove battery earth cable fit a in line fuse or MSB say 15 to 20 amps and then take a length of wire from the wire to chassis side of the fuse long enough to test all the earth points black wires .

Neil
neilsjuke
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: