S4 headlight switches

PostPost by: fjbm » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:10 am

Hello

Can anyone tell me how the S4 vacuum headlight switch works?

What does the rocker switch do? Does it only switch the small light (amber) on the front? Does this rocker switch has 2 or 3 positions?

Is the vacuum switch of the type Pull/Twist or just Pull?

My car has the UK specifications.

Thanks
fjbm
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: rmd24 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:32 am

On my '69 S4 the vacuum control is just a pull switch and the rocker switch has three positions. Off, sidelights and headlights.

Roger.
rmd24
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: m750rider » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:38 am

On the US versions, the vacuum pull switch is a straight pull, and includes two micro-switches that turn on or off the headlamps. The rocker switch is two position and turns on/off the parking lamps.
m750rider
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: fjbm » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:50 pm

rmd24 wrote:On my '69 S4 the vacuum control is just a pull switch and the rocker switch has three positions. Off, sidelights and headlights.

Roger.

So, the vacuum switch only activates the headlamp pods, right?

Does anyone know which car donated the vacuum switch knob?

Thanks
fjbm
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:03 pm

[quote="fjbm"[/quote]So, the vacuum switch only activates the headlamp pods, right[/quote]

Yes, with a U.K. spec car the vacuum switch (pull....one position only) the headlights should lift, they will then flash.
First position of the rocker switch will put on the side lights but the headlights will still flash.
Second position of the rocker switch will put on the headlights (and sidelights) overriding the flash function and the high/low beam is then controlled via the column switch.
You can just switch on the sidelights by leaving the vacuum switch off and switching the rocker switch to the first position, the second position of the rocker switch will have no effect if the pods have not been raised.
The flash function has been disconnected on many cars over the years as it can become a bit complicated with bad connections, it is also illegal now in the U.K. or so I am led to believe but my cars still retain it and I have not had a problem with MOT.
N.B. the rocker switch has three positions off, sidelight(1st) headlight(2nd)
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:20 pm

quote]
Does anyone know which car donated the vacuum switch knob?

Thanks[/quote]

fjbm

I believe the whole unit is a Lotus made part using a Ford pull switch. They are increasingly difficult to come by. They do sometimes appear on e-bay but since fewer +2s are getting broken up these days, even that source may start to dry up. There is a fix to convert the switch so that the whole vacuum process is swapped out for electrical activation.

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: