Quarterlight seals

PostPost by: ennio » Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:51 pm

Hi All,

Knowing that the Q/L seals (3 different shapes) are not available, just wonder are there any substitute that we can use? I need to dismantle the frame to be re-chrome, but the seals are not re-usable!

Thanks in advance.
Ennio
ennio
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:03 am

Ennio, this information may be out of date or not terribly helpful, but a few years back Sports Car World listed the quarter light seals as a repro part (three separate pieces IIRC). I ordered some, but the order got lost due to the tragic death of Frank Bertrang. I was told they were in stock and available at the time of order, but did not press for them for delivery.

Here is a link to their new web site. Although it does not look fully up yet, it does provide contact info (Dallas Tx if this is close?). Might be worth a specific part inquiry? Perhaps report back if you pursue this; I decided mine were good enough and did not replace them. Some Texas members may have an update on how they are coming along?

http://www.sportscarworld.com/index.php

I am not aware of a readily available replacement from other sources, but did not pursue that much.
HTH
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ennio » Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:21 am

Hi Stu,

Thanks for your information, just send an email to Sports Car World and will report back.

Ennio
ennio
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Dave50/1 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:19 pm

ennio- I bought the complete set for both windows about 8 years ago, before Frank passed away. Although it was very trying (use lots of soapy water) to get them installed, they were of the correct profiles and have lasted fine since installed. And they don't leak.....

I was fortunate to have visited Sports Car World since they moved and can confirm that the inventory is neatly categorized. The team is actively campaining both a Type 23 and Type 79/1 in Vintage Racing.
Dave50/1
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: DavidLB » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:15 pm

I believe Vincent Haydon is getting some made, I let him have a reasonable one for a pattern as I need some as well.
David
DavidLB
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:51 am

Ennio, not sure if you saw this post by Steve. He got the seals from Sports Car World and is just installing them. Good luck with the search.

elan-plus-f13/installing-guarterlight-glass-t23102.html
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ennio » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:54 pm

Hi Stu,

Thanks for your information. I sent an email to Sports Car World 5 days ago, but still have no reply yet.

Regards,
Ennio
ennio
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: rdssdi » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:25 pm

What a PITA job . When I installed my quarter lights I used the Sports Car World supplied rubber.

I would recommend keeping the old rubber to copy the angle cuts where the pieces meet.

I had to use very long machine screws to pull the bottom channel into position. I was then able to use the small flat head screws to secure it.

Took hours of fettling. Be patient.

Bob
rdssdi
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ennio » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:06 pm

Hi All,

I sent email to Sports Car World twice, but still no reply from them for more than 2 weeks. Is SCW still in business?

Ennio
ennio
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: DavidLB » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:02 pm

Hi All
Talk to vincent Haydon he is organizing new bottom seals phone 01590682508.
David
DavidLB
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: jono » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:22 am

You don't see the bottom seals so I simple installed a rubber strip in the bottom of the channel to support the glass and then sealed it in with commercial glazing compound - simples.
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Gordon Sauer » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:06 am

try [email protected] Gordon Sauer
Gordon Sauer
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: ennio » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:55 pm

Hi Gordon,

Thanks for the help, unfortunately the email to [email protected] just bounced back.

Don't know how to contact SCW!

Regards
Ennio
ennio
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Gordon Sauer » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:01 pm

Sorry, it's [email protected] but when I talked to them today (972-620-7285) they said for parts email them at [email protected] but then when I tried to ask about quarterlight seals said system down, good luck Gordon Sauer
Gordon Sauer
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: