modern wiring schematic

PostPost by: rdssdi » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:55 pm

Does anyone have a modern schematic for wiring a car?

With "new" features such as relay powered headlamps. Ignition 'accessories" run through a relay. Headlamp fuses. Fusible links or maxi fuses.

Maybe found in a book of assorted automobile wiring schematics. Any suggestions?

thanks

Bob
rdssdi
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:53 pm

Bob, not sure if this helps or not, but I like the BMW schematics as a kind of modern "Go-By". BMW uses model specific books called "ETM's" or Electrical Troubleshooting Manuals. I find these useful because they clearly break each circuit down by function, which makes it easier to borrow ideas on wiring configuration. In addition, they have reference photo's of all the major electrical components so you can get an idea of their physical location in the car.

Minor issue with BMW wiring is they use different wire colour conventions than the British system which can be a bit confusing until you get used to it; e.g. ground is typically Brown rather than Black IIRC.

To take a look at what is available, here is a freebie link to a wide variety of BMW ETM's in downloadable pdf format

http://wedophones.com/BMWManualsLead.htm

When I completely rewired my car I used this basic method of documenting. I found it easier to sketch up several schematics by function rather than the typical single sheet schematic. This is still a bit of a work in progress for me. Some of the separate drawings I am finding useful for my Lotus project include:
  • Power Distrubution
  • Fuse box / relay box layout
  • Fuse list indicating each effected function and cross referencing other fuses to check for each circuit / function
  • Relay list
  • Exterior lighting (Head, running, reverse, brake, driving)
  • Electric pod motors
  • Interior lighting
  • Dash lighting
  • Engine & instumentation
  • Warning lights
  • Window lifts
  • Heater fan
  • Wipers and squirter
  • Electric fuel pump
  • Cooling fan using a Clivey Boy temp sensor & relay
  • Ground distribution and listing of component grounding (very important & needing work!)
  • Hazard flasher & turn signals (integrated in my car using modern practice)

HTH
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jeff jackson » Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:11 pm

Hi Stu,
Interesting you should mention BMW, as they use a wiring harness design CAD tool called E3 from Zuken. What BMW, Fiat (and now Possibly Ford) are using the tool in the way you mention, with functional blocks. The designer will place the functional blocks down on the schematic that they need in the car. Once all blocks are placed they click a button and the wiring is automatically genereated. A few tweaks by the design team and it's done. This method saves thousands of hours in development, any changes need doing afterwards are simple to perform as well. A lot of Aerospace manufacturers are looking to design this way too.

Jeff 72+2
jeff jackson
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: