Mounting position of air horns

PostPost by: draenog » Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:08 pm

Hi,

After getting my +2S I discovered that the air horns had been replaced with a modern horn (to be honest, I didn't even know it should have had air horns when I got it). I have since obtained some Maserati air horns, but I have no idea where they would have originally been mounted. The workshop manual is of no use. I have searched all over this site and I can't find a definitive answer. Some thread I did see said the compressor was mounted on the left hand side wheel arch, but I also would like to know where the horns were mounted.

If it makes any difference, the car is early 1970 (VIN 7001...). Thanks for any help!
draenog
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Grizzly » Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:25 pm

I have the later 71 +2s with the smaller Radiator (horn compressor is mounted to the radiator - body bracket on mine) but if yours is an early big radiator car it should look like this picture half way down the page lotus-twincam-f39/new-radiator-way-t29282.html
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Grizzly » Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:28 pm

If you have a later type small radiator the compressor will be mounted like this (Its a 2 seater but you get the idea)
Attachments
Air horns and compressor.jpg and
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: draenog » Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:33 pm

Agh, brilliant, thank you. Looks like I have more investigating to do. I think I have the narrow radiator (it's not much wider than the engine), but the left hand side of the radiator has the windscreen wiper bottle, so that's probably been moved? The right hand side of the radiator has the expansion bottle.

Thanks!
draenog
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: draenog » Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:50 pm

P.S. It's strange how many little mods you find on what previously looked like an original car :roll: I took the radiator out to reverse flush it, and discovered that somebody had replaced the electric fan. Nothing wrong with that, until I realised that the fan was mounted the wrong way round (presumably because it rotated the wrong way), and that the original fan bracket had been modified to bring the fan closer to the radiator. I obviously only discovered this after getting another fan, and after draining and removing the radiator to fit it. I had to put it all back again as it was - one afternoon completely wasted :evil:
draenog
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:53 pm

My +2 had the wiper bottle on the front of the radiator mount and air compressor on the rear. I see no reason that the Elan would be different for the same radiator, bottle and horn setup.
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Grizzly » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:09 pm

Strangely enough mine is the other way round, the Horn Compressor is on the front and the washer bottle on the back but i know my +2 has had at least two rebuilds in its life so wouldn't shock me if there the wrong way round.
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: draenog » Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:20 pm

Just been out and had a look at the car (it's cold tonight). There's definately room to fit the compressor on the other side of the mount from the washer bottle. There's also two big holes so this is probably where the bolts went (there's no other holes). I also found two holes in the floor in front of the radiator so this is where the horn bracket went. Thanks for your help!
draenog
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: cal44 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:52 pm

Yes..........the compressor is supposed to be on the outside, not inside. On the Federal cars the compressor is on the drivers side (L) outside and the washer is on the right (R) inside
"Be Polite, Be Professional, But have a plan to kill everyone you meet"
General "Mad Dog" James Mattis United States Marines
cal44
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:01 am

On my 73 Plus 2S 130 /5 the compressor was bolted to the inside of the body on the inner front wheel well to the left of the light vacuum pod in the photo, it has been removed in the photo as I was part way through stripping the car when I took this photo. The horns are located bolted to the bottom of the nose as you see in the photo

045.JPG and

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Sea Ranch » Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:02 am

Yup, we're getting there! Lots of contributions. I'll offer mine, too. Although it's from a federal car, also. February 1970 Plus 2S. Pretty sure my car's compressor and horns have never been moved in 45 years :mrgreen:

IMG_0532.JPG and
Looking through the front nose opening (you have to rotate your head 45 degrees to the left); note the compressor mounted on the fiberglass.

IMG_0541.JPG and
Looking through left headlamp bowl opening, with vacuum cannister removed; you can see the compressor is mounted to the fiberglass and the horns are mounted to the floor of the nose cone, on the part sloping down and forward.

IMG_0544.JPG and
'nother shot (through the nose opening) of the compressor, perhaps a little clearer.

Hope that helps a little :)

Randy
Sea Ranch
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:27 am

Interesting that explains what the holes I found on my car in that spot were for. A PO must have relocated the compressor for some reason...
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Sea Ranch » Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:45 am

I does seem a tru-ism that many people see vintage Lotus' as fair game for modifying and "improving". Does this attitude/approach exist in the vintage Triumph community, for comparison? I don't think so. I owned 2 and never did I have the feeling I wanted to pump them up and "improve" on the design.

:? :?

Perhaps it has something to do with the racing heritage of Lotus street cars, or the kit car history, or just the fact that they are so amenable to modification . . . ?
Sea Ranch
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Robbie693 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:21 am

On mine the washer bottle is bolted to the radiator bracket and the compressor is mounted on the inner wing next to, and in front of the washer bottle. The horns themselves are are in the nose

Robbie
Robbie693
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Grizzly » Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:28 am

Sea Ranch wrote:I does seem a tru-ism that many people see vintage Lotus' as fair game for modifying and "improving". Does this attitude/approach exist in the vintage Triumph community, for comparison? I don't think so. I owned 2 and never did I have the feeling I wanted to pump them up and "improve" on the design.

:? :?

Perhaps it has something to do with the racing heritage of Lotus street cars, or the kit car history, or just the fact that they are so amenable to modification . . . ?

Not as simple as that, allot of Lotus cars where Retrofitted so things where added or taken off to change the spec by another shop off the production line, so there are plenty of cars out there that are the same model and have the same parts fitted just fitted in an easier position to go onto a built up car rather than one on the line.

Not to forget Lotus cars are an "Easy restoration" compared to a rotten steel bodied car so they attract more amateurs (no offense but given the choice of a project Lotus that has sat under a cover outside for 30 years or the same scenario TR6 i know which i'd prefer) so they might not be as keen on originality as some purists.

Triumph in there early days maybe but the BL cars your lucky you got all the bits in the first place :)
Last edited by Grizzly on Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: