Speedometer removal 1972 Elan

PostPost by: BillH » Wed Dec 14, 2022 4:56 pm

I just removed the speedo from my 1967 S3 Elan without removing the odometer reset stalk. With the under-dash trim and steering column removed it comes out easily by rotating it as you ease it forward. Photos attached. The fragile odometer reset stalk is fixed in place with a tiny split pin, which must be near impossible to remove insitu.
BillH
New-tral

PostPost by: 7skypilot » Tue Dec 20, 2022 1:48 pm

I've just received my speedo after overhaul and calibration by SpeedyCables. It looks superb! Original face, pointer and mileage remain but the rest looks brand new!

Removal (dash in place) was a pig... The roll-pin connecting the plastic trip extension to the speedo just wouldn't come out without damaging the trip extension and I had planned to use a 'R' clip to connect the two when replacing.
No need!!! Speedy have solved that and now connect the two with a small cheese-head screw.

I've an Alpine event with the Elan in Feb - they returned the rebuild speedo to me within a month!

Speedy also made me a couple of longer (54.5") speedo cables to simplify cable routing (RHD).

I can't recommend them enough (no affiliation - just a satisfied customer).
7skypilot
Second Gear
Second Gear

Previous

Total Online: