Dynamo to alternator conversion

PostPost by: shaun » Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:11 pm

Car must be making progress,I spend all my time trying to find answers from you knowledgeable folk.Ive got a regulator with connections
e
D
WL
F
B
Please could someone give me info on the wiring,can't. Find any info with this regulator terminal configuration thanks
Attachments
image.jpeg and
shaun
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:52 pm

john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: shaun » Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:13 pm

Thanks John ,but have you got a diagram for wiring conversion to alternator cheers
shaun
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:15 pm

As the topic is "Dynamo to Alternator conversion" I assume that is what you are doing.

I am attaching Ray (of RDEnterprises') instruction sheet showing how to convert your Lucas RB340 wiring for an alternator installation.
AlternatorInstallationInstructions_RDent_Reduced.pdf
(574.22 KiB) Downloaded 2569 times

If you are considering installing an alternator, please consider Ray's kit - http://www.rdent.com

rdent_alternator.jpg and
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:22 pm

john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:57 pm

Note that the alternator conversion doesn't actually USE the dynamo regulator. It just uses the terminals of the regulator control box as handy connection points.

Also your Elan 'looks' more original if the control box is still in there.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Esprit2 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:14 pm

Old-style alternators did use an external regulator, but it would have to be a regulator for that alternator, not a left over regulator for the old generator/ dynamo.

Most modern alternators have a built-in regulator and require only one voltage sensing/ input wire. If that's what you're using, then delete the regulator all together.

Alternators have no residual magnetism, so once the engine is shut off and the alternator ceases to function, it's working magnetic field goes away. Then upon start-up, the alternator has no field with which to interact, so it puts out no current. The single 12v priming wired provides a small exitation current to the field, the alternator starts producing current, and then is self-exciting after that, until every thing is once again shut-off.

There are many ways to hook up that priming wire. On some cars, it gets a 12v switched source from the ignition switch, goes to an idiot light on the instrument panel, then to the alternator. While the alternator is starting up, but not yet producing voltage, current flows from the 12v source to the 0-volt alternator, and the idiot light illuminates. Once the alternator gets going, there's 12v (nominal, actually more) at both ends of the wire, so no current flows, and the idiot light goes out.

Regards,
Tim Engel
Lotus Owners Oftha North (LOON)
Last edited by Esprit2 on Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Esprit2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Sea Ranch » Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:19 pm

Love that beautifully simple/clear explanation, Tim. Even I can understand it!!

Randy
Sea Ranch
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: