Alternator Conversion?

PostPost by: flyingvee » Sun Feb 01, 2004 2:46 pm

Hello All!
I've seen one or two folks metion an alternator conversion as a means of improving the Elan +2s electrical performance? Can someone describe what's involved and the approximate cost?
Many Thanks!

Ainsley

(1969 +2) :)
flyingvee
New-tral

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Sun Feb 01, 2004 4:04 pm

Hello,
An alternator is a great conversion to make. Your best best is to go with a proven and documented kit from any of the big suppliers. Expect to pay between $200 and $300. All the bracketery and wiring is supplied.

Greg Z.
Greg Z
45/0243K Sprint
45/7286 S3 SE DHC
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jopalm » Sun Feb 01, 2004 7:43 pm

Ainsly-

I converted my '69 S4 several years ago in the interest of reliability (along with a new gear reduction starter) and consider it one of the best decisions I've made!

Some people prefer to "roll their own" and gather the pieces themselves (new and/or used) from various sources. For me, it made sense to do as Dave suggests above and buy a kit from "one of the ususal suspects" (Dave Bean in my case) and get the benifit of not only the components, but their experience as well.

This particular kit uses a brand new Nippondenso (sp?) light and compact alternator with internal solid-state regulation. Very simple to install and has been reliable as a rock.

If you want to peruse the solution I chose, I see Dave Bean still lists it on-line on his web page. Try the link:
<a href='http://davebean.com/specials4.htm#Alternator' target='_blank'>http://davebean.com/specials4.htm#Alternator</a>

Regards,
-John
'69 Lotus Elan S4 DHC 45/8290
'74 1/2 Jensen Healey #18918
jopalm
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: jopalm » Sun Feb 01, 2004 7:45 pm

My apologies...

That should read ". . .it made sense to do as Greg suggests above . . ."

Sorry, Greg. . .
jopalm
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: flyingvee » Sun Feb 01, 2004 10:34 pm

Thanks for your advice folks!

I am delighted to recently become a +2 owner, but a complete novice on the subject of sensible mods!

Regards,
Ainsley :)
flyingvee
New-tral

PostPost by: bdea » Tue Feb 03, 2004 11:45 pm

Hi: I was the person who asked about the bracket for the Alternator Conversion.

The cost of the Alternator Kit by Tingles, Little British Car Co. and Gustafson Machine was actually cheaper than sourcing out the parts separately.

What I found:
Remanufactered Nippondenso Alternators cost between $70-$133 + core charge of $0-$85. These units fit Suzuki Samurai and Sidekicks 1987-89 and Chevy Sprints 1987-1991. These come with a single groove pulley.

Breakdown: New Nippondenso alternator -$160
Fabricated Bracket - $50
Tensioner arm - $35
Machined pulley - $15
Wiring - $10
Connectors - $ 5
________

$275 New Conversion Kit

Advantage - All parts are new and will fit, guarranteed with one year warranty.

- These nice people will give you a discount if you buy a package deal,
Aternator Kit and Gear Reduction Starter for $400 + Shipping, No Tax!

PS : Has anyone who has install the Alternator Kit give me the Gates Toothed V Belt Number or Size.

Thanks for all the wonderful information everyone has contributed to these forums, Brad
1969 S4
bdea
First Gear
First Gear

Total Online: