RB106 control box differences

PostPost by: Quart Meg Miles » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:59 pm

What is the difference between a RB106 and a RB106/2?

Mine has corroded adjusting screws and has run marginally low voltage for many years and I was considering replacing it with a NOS from AutoElectrics who supply both variants. I don't want my car off the road while I try to sort the present box as I lost.many months last year sorting the engine.

I'm assuming that there is no polarisation required as the field supply will determine it.
Meg

26/4088 1965 S1½ Old and scruffy but in perfect working order; the car too.
________________Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Quart Meg Miles
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:35 am

Quart Meg Miles wrote:What is the difference between a RB106 and a RB106/2?

Could be wrong but I think the only difference between the two is the terminals - screw Vs lucar - but according to the Workshop Manual you need the RB106-2 ............ or RB340 on later cars.
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Quart Meg Miles » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:21 pm

Thank you, Roger, that makes a lot of sense. I saw a lot of screw terminal versions for sale on AutoElectrics site and it didn't occur to me.
Meg

________________Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Quart Meg Miles
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Billmack » Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:27 pm

They are different but interchangeable. The tabs or screws were available on RB106/2. I think the earlier one was out of the time frame of elans but works fine in any case. If you just disassemble the contact on the regulator coil and clean it and reset to the gap shown in manuals ( not very fussy) then turn in the spring loaded screw in back a little to increase or out to decrease (1/2turn or so) you' ll be there! The regulator coil is the simpler looking one with adjustment screw and locknut on top.
Enjoy! Obviously you need a 10 buck digital voltmeter which I assume you already have since you mentioned voltage. I stick to the cheapos because I lose/ give away/ drop them frequently.
Billmack
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Quart Meg Miles » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:52 pm

Thank you too, Bill.
I will try some recommended penetrating oil on my existing controller, don't know whether it will work on the sort of corrosion I have, and will check out the contacts etc for the first time in my ownership. I understand the operation but your notes will be useful if I do the job properly.
Yes, I have a number of meters of dubious calibration. :(
Meg

Quart Meg Miles
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Billmack » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:25 pm

Me too! Im sure the digital screen ones are no better but they do make me feel better...
Billmack
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: