Electric windows not working on s3

PostPost by: Kevinjlowe » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:46 pm

:( Heeeelp.
I have recently bought my first Lotus, a ?66 Elan S3 s/e dhc. Unfortunately the electric windows aren?t working, however the previous owner advises they were both working immediately prior to collection; a lovely lady who I have no doubt was telling the truth. Could you assist please with troubleshooting?? Cheers, Kev
Kevinjlowe
New-tral

PostPost by: David1953 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:51 pm

If they were both working, and now both failed, it is most likely the supply to the switches. They share a common supply, and after the switches are quite separate. If the wiring is original then I think from memory the fuse is common to many other devices. (not got the diagram to hand) but some cars may have had extra fuses fitted.
The wiring behind the dash is not fun to get at, but if you remove the plastic trim along side the switches you should be able to get a meter to the switches.
David1953
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:29 am

On my Sprint the Windows are wired so they can go down with Ignition off BUT to go up the Ignition must be switched on.
Are you saying they don't work with the Ignition switched on :wink: :wink:
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Kevinjlowe » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:20 pm

thanks for the replies; Alan they neither work with the ignition on or off :(
Kevinjlowe
New-tral

PostPost by: alan.barker » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:43 pm

That's a pity i thought i had the answer for you.
Maybe try a temporary Earth wire direct from Engine Block to Earth Wire on window Motor.
I have found problems before where the Wires going through the Door Hinge looked good but Wire Core had broken inside. Leaving the Insulation in perfect condition.
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:40 pm

I seem to remember from when I had an S3 that there was an earth wire that goes on one of the bottom dash board screws (there are two screws that secure the bottom of the dash board to the centre bracket above the gearbox which is bolted to the chassis) the two screws may be hidden by the centre consul.
As I recall it has an "eye terminal" on a black wire, I think that is where the window motors get their earth, think my eye terminal was on the drivers side screw but check both sides.
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Kevinjlowe » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:00 pm

Thanks for the feedback chaps; I?ll take a look in the morning :lol:
Kevinjlowe
New-tral

PostPost by: Ringtone » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:40 pm

Funny..I?ve just bought an S3 FHC and my drivers side window failed in the down position. Checked connections to the motor unit located at the base of the door and all looked good. Then checked out the other end with ignition switched on and found by removing the window switch securing nut on the dash side and then manipulating the switch barrel in and out got the window working again..Clearly an intermittent fault .. but looks like by chance I have isolated the route cause of the problem to the switch or it?s connections.
Not sure this will help solve the double window failure listed in the original post, but hope it is of use to note.
Ringtone
New-tral

PostPost by: crannyr » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:55 pm

At best the design of the window power circuit sucks, check out the numerous posts related to adding relays to the system. Little point in fixing that which was designed to fail.
crannyr
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:02 pm

alan.barker wrote:On my Sprint the Windows are wired so they can go down with Ignition off BUT to go up the Ignition must be switched on.
Are you saying they don't work with the Ignition switched on :wink: :wink:
Alan

Thats the Health ans Safety requirement for modern cars, stops kids left in the car from crushing their fingers in a closing window.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: