Switch refurbishment

PostPost by: Grizzly » Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:46 pm

No, just a really good clean with some panel wipe (de-greaser..... DO NOT!! use Thinners or strong solvent), the guy that demo'd it recommended two thorough passes of the de-greaser to make sure all the old back to black and finger grease is off (don't be alarmed if it makes the discoloration worse at this point) once it's dry and clean apply the G4 as per instructions (even coat and buff off after five or so mins)

This works well on plastics that aren't damaged or scratched (it has no build to it at all) if you are trying to loose scratches you might be better off with the flat and paint method. That said, i prefer the finish with this G4 stuff because you don't get that painted look (if you know what i mean) and of course you could apply it with the dash in place if need be.
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: tvacc » Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:35 pm

Back in 1991 I used crocus cloth on mine then I spray painted them with black Carpet dye. Lasted for years. Might still be OK. Car is now in Houston with a person who is on this forum. Tom Smith. Maybe he can chime in on how they are now.
Tony Vaccaro
LOONY (Lotus Owners of New York)
http://www.lotusowners.com
Drive Fast Take Chances
ElanGTS, 93 Caterham, 05 Elise,
99 Elise190, 05 Elise, 2005 MiataSpeed Turbo
tvacc
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: denicholls2 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:46 pm

elanfan1 wrote:It seems to me that a few people are suggesting various brake fluids and similar which appear to give varying periods before needing a repeat. Fine I guess if you?ve got the switches out but would you want to put brake fluid anywhere near your nicely refurbed dash in the future. My switches were painted in my first Sprint close to 20 years ago. I saw photos of the car when it was for sale a year or two ago and they still looked perfect.

Further to the comment earlier I don?t know why you?d want to put a textured paint on your switches. Not my cuppa I?m afraid sorry and no offence. An ordinary satin black rattlecan would suffice just make sure there?s no remnants of any polish etc on the switches before you start.

Actually, I think the brake fluid suggestion is a bit brilliant -- the concept behind it is uniformity of oxidation, which is what applying brake fluid to an automobile paint finish does. Although I'd recommend a hidden test, I would not expect polyurethane to be similarly affected (it isn't paint), so wipe it on, wipe it off the shiny stuff, and good to go without buildup or removal. Using a modeler's brush, only a sloppy painter is going to get it on the dash anyway.
denicholls2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Previous

Total Online: