Ive never seen this degree of colour degredation before

PostPost by: bloodknock » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:16 pm

HelloFolks
As Ive said before, I'm trying hard to utilise as many of the original parts of my 71 Sprint as possible. That includes the wiring loom.
Ive had problems with thefunctionality of the rear side lights. To cut a long story short, it was necessary to strip back the wrap insulation of the wiring loom to try to locate the fault. In it I located this cable:
20190111_175339.jpg and

what colour would you assign to it?
Heres another picture of the same cable:
20190111_175351.jpg and

As you can see Purple is RED!!!
My original wiring loom Is flexible , not cracked, generally good condition except for this issue. I replaced the front part of the loom because it had been subjected to the engine bay environment.
Anyway, I share this information to perhaps assist other seekers of electrical faults
Regards
Bob
I've got a deadline, at 73, I want to finish it before I die!
bloodknock
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Slowtus » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:16 am

Seen similar over the years, brown goes black, white goes yellow, green goes brown - or yellow...

Best thing is to refer to the manual and tag the wire accordingly.
Slowtus
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:48 am

It all goes black once the smoke escapes :lol:

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bloodknock » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:55 am

Ive seen the white go yellow in the past but because it was in the engine bay of a Fiat 850. A pal of mine back in the day was due to wed and use the car for his honeymoon, by the time he got round to involving me, this colour change had caused him hours of grief, a new dynamo and battery, all because he inadvertently swapped two "yellow" wires over, one of them was the field connection of the dynamo!!! I assumed the colour change was as a result of engine oil effects.
This chap was a great pal, he was "trained" in engineering by Chrysler in Coventry, but he was an engineering disaster, he earned the nickname "bodge" He provided endless hours of pain and ammusement, the number of times I got involved in sorting his "engineering" out..........I could write a book! Happy days.
Bob
I've got a deadline, at 73, I want to finish it before I die!
bloodknock
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: