Smiths instrument manufacturers

PostPost by: checkrail » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:32 pm

Hi everyone. Has anyone done business with the current manufacturers of Smiths instruments or the equivalent,
namely 'Caerbont Automotive Instruments Ltd' of Swansea? They have a very comprehensive website.

I emailed them about a new 60 p.s.i oil sender unit to suit my original gauge on my Plus 2 (PT 1817/06), I know this part no. is obsolete. After waiting several days for a reply I sent a reminder --- still nothing so I phoned and spoke to
their receptionist, explained what I wanted and said she would contact an engineer.

I received an email from him and yes he could supply a modern matching unit correct pressure for my gauge.

Their part no.1813/06, just under ?40 +vat, did I wish to go ahead? I replied yes would.

That was a week last Thursday and have since heard nothing, I sent a ' what's happened to my order' yesterday
and still nothing. I don't know what their p&p or payment methods are.

If this is how they conduct their business I am very wary of them. Any comments, Regards John
checkrail
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: 1owner69Elan » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:47 pm

Well, I hope you have better luck than I have had so far.

I have wanted a dual gauge for my 69 S4 that has 0-100 psi oil pressure instead of 0-60 (original). In fact such 0-100 psi gauges already exist from earlier Elan series but in a different font. But, I want a 0-100 psi gauge in the correct font for the S4/Sprint. Such a gauge does not exist.

I contacted Caerbont in November 2017 with my requirement. After much explaining they finally understood what I was looking for: dual gauge, 0-100psi, Lotus S4/Sprint font. They indicated that they would have to do the artwork to create this but it shouldn't be too much trouble.

Well, it is now almost a year and half later and no joy. My correspondence had escalated to the Managing Director, Gavin Roberts, who had promised me several times that the requested gauge production was underway. However, I have not been able to get any response (repeated emails) from the MD for the last 6 months. Next step is to telephone them (I am in California). But, I may have to abandon my quest for this new gauge.
'69 Elan S4 SE
Street 181 BHP
Original owner
1owner69Elan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: 1owner69Elan » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:58 pm

inscrutable....
'69 Elan S4 SE
Street 181 BHP
Original owner
1owner69Elan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: cabc26b » Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:45 pm

I recently ordered a S1 ?lan tachometer from them - No issues from the get go - 24 hr response from the engineer to my question via the web form with a pointer to inside sales to handle fulfillment - Inside sales set me up with an account and sent me an invoice to pay online with CC - unit arrived in the US maybe 2 weeks later, identical appearance to the original ( case is shorter ) Have not wired it in but baring it being DOA ... I will use them again .
cabc26b
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: checkrail » Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:07 pm

You must have been lucky, if they cannot be bothered to contact me about my order I will write them off.

How about the other guy still waiting after 18 months!

I have enquired with Paul Matty, they are awaiting some from a suppier, I wonder if it's Carebont

John
checkrail
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: greg40green » Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:26 pm

Re Carebont / Smith dial .
Over the last 18 month I have had rev-counter , speedo , fuel gauge and duel temp / oil pressure gauge for my S1 Elan from this company and they have been fantastic,
I first contacted them via email asking a question regards their supply re the S1 , I was answered with in 2 days from memory , I then rang and got the MD who I dealt with direct for the rev counter , I then dealt with the receptionist via telephone , again no issues ie delivery within a week as they had the dials in stock .

Payment method via this company is a little strange as they send an invoice by email via a company I have never heard of so I telephoned and paid via Visa without an issue .

Yes I would definitely use again.
greg40green
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Foxie » Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:22 pm

I've got several tacho and speedos, both mech and electronic from them.

Always got good service. :)
68 Elan +2, 70 Elan +2s
Foxie
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: checkrail » Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:44 pm

I have at last had a reply from them offering a 60psi one, but it will not register until pressure is 11psi.

This does not seem very satisfactory, surely they have the expertise to manufacture a correct one.

I have declined the offer John
checkrail
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Chrispy » Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:56 pm

I understand that the E-type 0-60psi sender is the one we require, I've seen a few new ones floating around on e-bay but a little bit mor expensive than I want to pay at the moment. I have a 0-75psi sender at the moment which gives me a general indication of what is going on.
Chris
Elan +2 #0245
Exige S2 Supercharged
Chrispy
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Bigbaldybloke » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:11 pm

I ordered a volt meter, it arrived quickly but on opening the box I found the black paint on the dial was cracked. I sent them a photo and they immediately replaced it. Ok it shouldn?t have been sent like that but the way they rectified the problem couldn?t be faulted.
Attachments
ccc2c50d-6e99-45f4-be48-c37349996a74.jpeg and
Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine!
Bigbaldybloke
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: miked » Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:40 pm

Is it a coincidence that both these and Speedy are only metres from each other on the same ind' est'. Just Googled.
I got messed about by Speedy for over 6 months being buffed off by the receptionist.
Only got action after finding the director. Had lost both items. Sorted in the end but nothing worse than a receptionist who think they have the authority to buff you off without even trying to find the status of your kit. I would not use Speedy ever again.
Grumpy old guy today. :shock:
Mike

Elan S4 Zetec
Suzuki Hustler T250
Suzuki TC120R trailcat
Yamaha YR5
Suzuki Vstrom 650XT
Suzuki TS185K
miked
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jono » Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:48 pm

....and don't ask me about the well established firm in Nottingham!!
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: