New(er) glove box.

PostPost by: bill griffiths » Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:55 am

The 50 year old cardboard glove box on my early Plus 2 saw good service but as the dash was out it seemed a good time to replace it.
The original one had an immobiliser switch on the RHS. It was about thirty years before I discovered it!
In order to disconect it so the car could proceed!
The new one (see photo, shocking focus) has a cut out, obviously for a light. Does anyone know the brand or where one might be purchased?
And is it likely it had an integral switch? Or perhaps it's on with the park lights?
Surely the lower smaller cut out which can be seen is not for a light switch...an immobiliser perhaps?
Finally, there is a "catchplate"which seems to fasten to the top of the glovebox and which might incorporate the catch for the press button glovebox lid.
I do not have one and so do not know if is possible to photograph!
Any help with these issues would be of great assistance.
Regards
Bill Griffiths.
lgb.jpg and
bill griffiths
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: LaikaTheDog » Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:00 pm

It has a push switch on a 90 degree mount next to the lamp.
I disconnected mine as the switch mount was soft and kept bending.. leaving the glovebox light on.

See the image uploaded by "spyder fan" in this thread... fuse box is not original !

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=22516&start=15
LaikaTheDog
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Bud English » Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:36 pm

It's the same light as the two in the engine bay and the puddle lights in the doors. I just bought a handful from a Triumph parts supplier. Dirt cheap. I'll try to find the receipt and let you know which one.
Bud
1970 +2S Fed 0053N
"Winnemucca - says it all really!!"
Bud English
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Bud English » Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:13 pm

This is the light, but not where I bought them. I can't find the receipt.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LOTUS-ELAN-2 ... Sw9mFWJlkA
Bud
1970 +2S Fed 0053N
"Winnemucca - says it all really!!"
Bud English
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bill griffiths » Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:01 pm

Thanks, Bud! It's on its way. Regards, Bill
bill griffiths
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Foxie » Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:50 pm

I got fed up with the original glove box which could only be dismounted with the dash released, and especially the push/push release, which was always jamming shut !

So I made up an identically dimensioned new glove box from 3mm ply, which can be easily dismounted without removing the dash to allow access to the inner left hand dash. I replaced the the problematic release unit with a magnetic cupboard closing unit, and finished it off with a luxurious ebony and pearl guitar strap button pull-out knob.

Needless to say, the immobiliser switch was retired. :)
Attachments
pa030093.jpg and
pa030097.jpg and
pa030099.jpg and
pb020118.jpg and
68 Elan +2, 70 Elan +2s
Foxie
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Davefettback » Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:34 pm

I did a similar thing in replacing the glove box. Instead of plywood I used cardboard and fiberglass?d it on the exterior only. Painted it black, lined the inside with a black mohair. Tough and light.
Davefettback
First Gear
First Gear

Total Online: