Sprint Dashboard restoration Reveneer...Help!

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Tue May 14, 2019 10:11 am

bloodknock wrote: Is the dashboard under stress when installed and cracking the varnish... is there a better varnish material thats more flexible? Is there a more suitable adhesive?
Comments?
Bob

The dashboard is a stressed member of the car, ie, it ties the left and right side together. So it's always
'working' when the car is driven.
Greg Z
45/0243K Sprint
45/7286 S3 SE DHC
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Tue May 14, 2019 11:14 am

Can anyone explain what fixings are used to secure the dash on a Plus 2? I get that the primary fixing hardware comprises of chrome plated machine screws, but looking at my new dash the holes seem rather large and I would have thought some sort of or "top hat" insert would be needed to take up play and protect the varnish.. Otherwise I can't see it being fixed rigidly, plus the varnish would get damaged almost immediately.

The parts diagrams only show the screw (and not on all pictures of the dash assembly).

Edit: I had a look at mine and found red fibre washers. Are these standard?
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jono » Tue May 14, 2019 12:37 pm

I seem to recall the dash holes have metal (brass?) ferrules pushed into them.

When I fitted mine I used fibre washers to protect the new lacquer - I always thought it was my own idea but perhaps Lotus or someone else got there first!

Anyway, never had an issues with this set up
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: wotsisname » Tue May 14, 2019 12:50 pm

As said, there are serrated metal inserts pushed into the holes . I'd suggest carefully relieving the varnish around the holes to prevent cracking it . I believe you set them flush to the rear of the dash, leaving a few mm protruding..the screws then don't bear onto the varnish. I guess the fibre washers hide the insert giving a nicer finish.
My +2 has the same size fixings as an elan and the upper outer mountings don't have bobbins.. I believe the later +2 have a larger screw and bobbins on all 4 top fittings. The lower fittings are a fiddle, so I brazed some captive nuts onto a short length of metal that sits behind the lower heater bracket
1968 Elan plus 2 - project
2007 Elise S2 [modified with a Hethel 70th sticker (yellow)]
2000 Elise S1 - Sold
wotsisname
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Tue May 14, 2019 3:33 pm

I've had another look at mine - brass inserts (now loose) are indeed present - thanks!
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bloodknock » Wed May 15, 2019 3:14 pm

On my Sprint,FROM NEW, All of my mounting holes have ferrules (knurled) accompanied bt Chrome headed Philips screws backed up by fibre washers, the bottom two are backed by nuts with shakeproof washers, the remainder screw into bobbins.
Regards
Bob
I've got a deadline, at 73, I want to finish it before I die!
bloodknock
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: bloodknock » Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:57 pm

Hi folks
Just received my reveneered dash back from Nick Martin, I had to wait a while but the results are more than worth the wait....absolutely beautiful liquid like finish, can't reccomend him enough. So if youre planning a rebuild programme a reveneer early in the work, give him plenty of time and prepare to be delighted.
Bob
I've got a deadline, at 73, I want to finish it before I die!
bloodknock
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: PaulH » Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:50 am

bloodknock wrote:Hi folks
Just received my reveneered dash back from Nick Martin, I had to wait a while but the results are more than worth the wait....absolutely beautiful liquid like finish, can't reccomend him enough. So if youre planning a rebuild programme a reveneer early in the work, give him plenty of time and prepare to be delighted.
Bob

Really good to hear that you've got a result your happy with. Another tick for Nick Martin and this forum.

Paul
66 Elan S2
PaulH
Second Gear
Second Gear

Previous

Total Online: