Electronic ignition

PostPost by: gary eastham » Wed May 08, 2019 8:44 pm

Any thoughts on electronic ignition for a plus 2 I believe sue miller and Paul matty sell the aldon are they any good thanks in advance
gary eastham
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: ericbushby » Wed May 08, 2019 10:37 pm

Check out `Ignition car Parts` part no. ICP EK015. made by Ultra Spark. ?30.00.
Fitted one inside the distributor several years ago and have not seen it since.
I should really open it up to lubricate the shaft !!
Just make sure to grind the pip off the baseplate so that it fits snugly.
Eric in Burnley
S3SE DHC
ericbushby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jono » Thu May 09, 2019 7:35 am

...you could go the full hog and fit wasted spark ignition. That's what I did and it works brilliantly plus the added security of having no distributor sitting under those leaky carbs!

the other option would be a 123 electronic dizzy - fitted one to my Alfa and that works great too
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Thu May 09, 2019 8:33 am

jono wrote:...you could go the full hog and fit wasted spark ignition. That's what I did and it works brilliantly plus the added security of having no distributor sitting under those leaky carbs!

the other option would be a 123 electronic dizzy - fitted one to my Alfa and that works great too

Hi jono

What's "wasted spark" ignition?

[Edit: never mind: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wasted_spark ]

:)
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Quart Meg Miles » Thu May 09, 2019 2:29 pm

jono wrote:...you could go the full hog and fit wasted spark ignition. That's what I did and it works brilliantly plus the added security of having no distributor sitting under those leaky carbs!

I would have thought your problem was the leaky weather.

So how did you generate the spark and its timing, there's not much room on the front of the crank? A special isolated secondary coil is also needed. Perhaps you have a link to an existing posting.
Meg

26/4088 1965 S1½ Old and scruffy but in perfect working order; the car too.
________________Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Quart Meg Miles
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elanman999 » Thu May 09, 2019 4:05 pm

jono wrote:...you could go the full hog and fit wasted spark ignition.

No Jono, the full hog is EFI. You've just got mapped ignition. :lol: I agree with your comment about how well it works though.

Meg it is a bit tight but is doable.
img_0772rs.jpg and

Cheers
John
elanman999
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: jono » Fri May 10, 2019 11:07 am

..you're right John and I've lost count of the number of times I've been on the edge of the FI precipice but backed out at the last minute!

Following a recent downsizing of chokes from 33mm to 32mm most of by carb problems/stumbles have been resolved and I then think about what else I might do with the ?1500 - ?2000 it will probably cost me to go the proper 'full hog'!

Meg,

I use a toothed wheel on the front pulley very similar to John's and an Edis system and coil pack robbed from an old Ford. Everything is controlled by a Megajolt ignition module which can be mapped on a rolling roard and the load is sensed from a throttle potentiometer fixed to the end of the spindle on the carbs. Works really well and starting is instant. It probably cost me around ?350 to do.
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jasper2347 » Fri May 10, 2019 6:58 pm

We've fitted both Ultra-spark and Acu-spark on five or six classic rally cars for clients with great results. Cheap and easy fit. You will need to set the timing with a strobe when you've done. Can recommend either systems.
Rob
jasper2347
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: