Voltage choke ... I think. Need confirmation

PostPost by: Andy8421 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:18 pm

mn1 wrote:Tks Bud, The word choke may be technically inaccurate in the broader sense but I am using it as Lotus have in the manual...we'll get there one way or the other.

A choke isn't a voltage stabiliser in any sense. Could you copy the exact language as used in the manual, and we might be able to pin it down for you.

Edit: I managed to find the parts list referred to earlier in the thread. The picture of part number 50 M 6017 does indeed look like a choke (tubular in-line component comprising wire wrapped around a core) - and looks nothing like the component that you have found. I think it is safe to say that whatever you have there shouldn't be there. The plus2S wiring diagram I found doesn't show the choke, but it is most likely for radio suppression. The voltage stabiliser arcs and sparks as it opens and closes and will make popping sounds on the radio. Rover used to have something similar to stop the clock winding circuit making the radio pop. If anyone can find a link to a late plus2S wiring diagram I will take a look.
68 Elan S3 HSCC Roadsports spec
71 Elan Sprint (being restored)
32 Standard 12
Various modern stuff
Andy8421
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mn1 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:08 am

Tks Andy,
Done some more investigating this morning
1. It is a stabiliser ( but not a Smiths one?) not 100% sure of output could be 8v but as it was not earthed it was not functioning as it should. Some suppliers list a fuel guage stabiliser for Smiths which is a different part number and price to the usual twin pair spade ver. (No pic. unfortunately)
2. Not being earthed it seemed to be offering some resistance in the circuit making the temp guage accurate?? - not sure about that one.
3. Dead right - it shouldn't be there.
4. Circuit has a dual feed somehow.

I'm happy to let this thread die a natural and thanks for confirming appearance of choke to positively exclude that possibility.
mn1
New-tral

PostPost by: mn1 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:17 am

GOT IT!
US Ford item 66-67 Mustang/Cougar ...probably 5.1v or maybe 9v, but not 10v. This pic is a perfect match down to the not quite straight angle of the output terminal. Letters in middle vary.
Attachments
cougarvr.jpg and
mn1
New-tral

PostPost by: alan.barker » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:23 am

mn 1,
as i mentioned the body of the Voltage Stabiliser is screwed to the back of the Speedo metal body which serves as the Earth :wink: :wink:
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:00 pm

I've no idea what it would do to the quality of spark if you put a choke coil between the contact breaker and the ignition coil.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: