Power of electrical

PostPost by: Helio_s » Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:38 am

Hi evryone,

I create this to have a very specific tips about the electrical power for my elan +2.
It's a hold lady and the last time she works correctly for my grand parents was 20 years ago :shock: :shock:
I decide to rebuild it, but she don't really have the power to starting correctly.
When the sparkplug are outside of the engine, the engine turn very quickly, but when all the sparkplug going back, we don't have the power for starting.
The distributor caps is new with all spark plug and cable
I clean the earth from the back and the one of the engine
I clean the positive cable going on the starter motor
New batterie or booster i do

But now i really blocked to go on the right way....
any easy idea/check to have more power to start this engine ???

Regards,
And thanks to you to reply !!!! :D :D :D :D
Helio_s
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: bitsobrits » Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:36 pm

And you have verified the ignition timing is close? If the ignition timing is too far advanced, the motor would be very hard to start.
Steve

Elan S1 1963-Bourne bodied
Elan S3 1967 FHC pre airflow

Formerly:
Elan S1 1964
Elan S3 1966 FHC pre airflow
Elan S3 1967 FHC airflow
Elan S4 1969 FHC
Europa S2 1970
Esprit S2 1979
bitsobrits
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Helio_s » Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:26 pm

Thanks for the reply :D
I tuch nothing and the car was park that 20 years ago, i don't moove the distributor on the left or right.
May be I need to change all little block of electricity ?? ( relay, starter solenoids etc ).
???????
:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
Helio_s
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: USA64 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:25 pm

Someone more knowledgeable chime in here; I think if the contacts are clean and jumping doesn't work than the starter is implicated? I think he said it turns too slowly with the plugs in ie with compression.
We are supposed to be having fun, are we not?
USA64
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Mick6186 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:36 pm

Try jump starting the car to a battery that you know is in first class condition,
Mick
Mick6186
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Foxie » Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:40 pm

First question: Have you a new/good battery ? :)
68 Elan +2, 70 Elan +2s
Foxie
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Helio_s » Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:49 am

I tried with a new full charge battery and connect with an over car with the cable .... :cry: :cry:
Helio_s
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:51 am

You say that you have not moved (rotated) the distributor, but you have wired up a new cap, so the distributor position could still be wrong, because the old cap might have been wired with an alternative arrangement as mentioned in the other topic.

You need to check that the rotor arm is close to the contact for plug 1 when piston 1 is at top dead centre. Ideally (if you still have contact points in there) you should adjust the rotation of the distributor, so that the points just open at the static setting (which I think is 12 degrees) There are markings on the front cover of the engine showing a range of degrees and there is a notch in the crankshaft pulley to line up with those markings.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Helio_s » Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:50 pm

Thanks for this reply.
But I'm not sure is that, the engine turn every 4 seconds....
Like vroom 4 seconds vroom 4 seconds vroom 4 seconds.
He needs to have more power, and i think the problem is from something electric, because i definitely need more power for the engine turn correctly ...... :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Helio_s
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Jentwistle3 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:21 pm

Ground strap?
Jentwistle3
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: USA64 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:15 pm

Still sounds like a starter on-the-way-out to me. I know American cars did that back in the '60s '70s but I'm less sure about Lotus.
We are supposed to be having fun, are we not?
USA64
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: ianthomson72 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:49 pm

Hi,
I had a similar problem some time ago. All the electrical systems worked as they should except for the starter which only turned the engine over slowly. After checking all terminal connections, replacing the starter and the battery I was exasperated to find no improvement.
I only discovered the fault by accident when removing the carpets and felt I noticed a bugle in the cable running from the battery to the solenoid. The covering of the cable had been cut , allowing moisture to corrode the cable to the extent that it was unable to pass the current requirement of the starter. The carpets were being replaced because they had rotted due to damp.
Replacing the cable fixed the fault.
ianthomson72
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Helio_s » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:08 pm

Thanks @ianthomson72,

I put the positive cable on the solenoid and nothing changed. Do you think that could be change ? Or I need to check all the cable ???
Helio_s
First Gear
First Gear

Total Online: