Heater fan bush housing / heater box renovation

PostPost by: JonB » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:24 pm

Yes, really. I do not have unlimited funds when it comes to working on this car and I think if you're going to repair something then repair it, if possible. Otherwise replace. I do not do this for safety critical components of course, but the heater lever won't do any harm if it snaps on the motorway. The car is a hobby of mine and along the way I am learning lots of new stuff (such as aluminium brazing). A thing I'd lose out on if I reached for a chequebook every time there was a problem.

There's really no need to stop posting over such a minor difference of opinion. We're adults, after all.
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alanr » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:56 pm

I say good on you for having a go at repairing it Jon.
The problem is that these cars are now getting very old and virtually everything you touch on the car is knackered in one way or another so if you 'buy new' with every component you work on will have one very expensive Lotus!
I too am finding that I am having to make some compromises with non-safety critical or cosmetic components, so you are not alone in the way you are approaching things. :D
Alan
'71 +2 S130/ 5speed Type9.
alanr
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: MarkDa » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:12 pm

I obviously think it was worth trying to repair it.
On a distinctly non safety critical part even a repair that didn't last would have been acceptable in terms of providing learning.

If Jon had been successful he would have added to the sum of knowledge for us all.
Even his failure helps us - we now know that these items need a different approach.
Perhaps a 'splint' glued on the back might have worked and someone else may try that if they read this thread in the future.
MarkDa
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:18 am

Well, it arrived today. Good service from SJS. It appears to be made of machined aluminium, anodised black. Only thing that concerns me is it has no splines to locate against the flap spindle. There is a grub screw instead. Easier to fit and adjust, but will it come loose? Loctite at the ready!

bd190942-68c5-47c2-8fa8-b455f237c67a.jpeg and

[Edit: No need. It's a really tight fit on the splined shaft. Hooray, another job completed!]
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: MarkDa » Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:49 am

All that machining goes a long way to explaining the price - glad you're sorted.
We will all be careful when removing these in the future!
Yours must have been marginal in the first place as it had broken once before which is the luck of the draw.
MarkDa
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:55 pm

They should be removed with pullers. It's the only safe way.

So anyway, the heater box is back together, sealed nicely and installed.

img_5989.jpg and

Bit tricky but got there in the end.
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: