early 67 (toggle switches) s3/se drophead ground points??

PostPost by: toggle45 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:44 am

Hi team, trying to get my electricals put back together after a long time.

Question: Originally, where did the ground leads for the door switch and window motors attach? Each has a short black ground lead with a ring connecter.

Thanks. Thought I'd ask before I try to kludge something unoriginal. :D
Weldon
the dreaded PO himself
toggle45
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:07 pm

It?s a while ago that I had an S3 and worked on the wiring but If you are referring to the black wires on the motors as I recall they are not connected to any connection. Have a read over this thread as it may help you with the wiring.

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=17040
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: toggle45 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:54 pm

Brian, thanks for taking time. I had seen your referenced post, but my problem wasn't that deep. I just got enough wiring straight so that the windows work. The motors seem to be grounded through the loom to the switches, then to the standard ground attachment behind the dash. I have gotten both windows to wind up/down fine now, but still have this extra ground lead coming from inside the door. And there's another ground lead attached to the door switch. So now I'm wondering if the window motor ground is being forwarded to the door switch. I'll find out tomorrow. Cheers
Weldon
the dreaded PO himself
toggle45
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: toggle45 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:16 pm

Hmmm. I had it upside down. The black lead from the door is not connected to ground, but the door switch lead is to ground. Now wondering if I should connect them. Maybe some Elan configuration had some other electrical device in the door, perhaps a courtesy lamp on the 36? Not all mysteries get solved and I can live in such a world.
Weldon
the dreaded PO himself
toggle45
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Craven » Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:00 pm

This has been written about before but the black wire in the door is connected to the motor case and is not part of its power supply, purpose is to ensure electrical noise generated by the brush gear in the motor is screened by the case, they are connected to chassis via the black wire tag on the interior light door switch which in turn is connected by a bullet in the loom and on to a main chassis earth under the heater bracket.
FWIW
Craven
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:15 pm

toggle45 wrote:Brian, thanks for taking time. I had seen your referenced post, but my problem wasn't that deep. I just got enough wiring straight so that the windows work. The motors seem to be grounded through the loom to the switches, then to the standard ground attachment behind the dash. I have gotten both windows to wind up/down fine now, but still have this extra ground lead coming from inside the door. And there's another ground lead attached to the door switch. So now I'm wondering if the window motor ground is being forwarded to the door switch. I'll find out tomorrow. Cheers

That ground on the Windows Motors is only there really as it's best if all metal bits are connected to ground to minimise radio noise. It takes no part in the movement of the window motors.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: