Smiths OIL TEMP gauge in degrees F

PostPost by: JonnyPlus2 » Tue Oct 18, 2022 12:33 am

Hi All,
I'm looking for one of these and I can only find made in India ones which are only calibrated to 200F instead of 290F which is equivalent to the 140C ones.

Anyone know where I can get one or if someone can put a fahrenheit face on a celsius gauge. Thanks much.

I'm doing this for looks as I think that a Celsius gauge on a sixties Elan would look incongruous.

Cheers,
Best,
Jonny B
36/6322
JonnyPlus2
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Andy8421 » Tue Oct 18, 2022 6:11 am

Johnny,

Try these gentlemen:

https://www.speedycables.com/

Although the name doesn't sound very hopeful, I believe they offer the services you require. Of interest is they seem to share the building with Caerbont Automotive Instruments who are all that is left of Smiths Instruments (the original manufacturers of the gauges) after the business changed hands many times.

Andy.
68 Elan S3 HSCC Roadsports spec
71 Elan Sprint (being restored)
32 Standard 12
Various modern stuff
Andy8421
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonnyPlus2 » Tue Oct 18, 2022 3:53 pm

Hi Andy;
Speedy Cables looks super promising. They have this on their home page:
Instrument repairs, restoration and customisation
Thanks much for this. Speedy do not pop up on my Google searches so I would have never found them.

Cheers
Best,
Jonny B
36/6322
JonnyPlus2
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Quart Meg Miles » Tue Oct 18, 2022 10:04 pm

JonnyPlus2 wrote:Hi All,

I'm doing this for looks as I think that a Celsius gauge on a sixties Elan would look incongruous.

Cheers,

My original water gauge and added oil temp gauge are both degrees C

ARD1C dash @99999 spring 1973.JPG and
Meg

26/4088 1965 S1½ Old and scruffy but in perfect working order; the car too.
________________Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Quart Meg Miles
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonnyPlus2 » Tue Oct 18, 2022 10:51 pm

Hi Meg,
I'm even more shocked than Capitaine Renault was to discover that water temp/oil pressure gauges ever came in degrees C. Having been around English cars forever I have never even heard of one. Do you think the car was delivered like that? Matching it with a degrees C Oil Temp gauge makes perfect sense.

My car has the normal water temp/oil pressure in Fahrenheit so I'm going to match it with a Fahrenheit Oil Temp if I can.
Best,
Jonny B
36/6322
JonnyPlus2
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: TBG » Wed Oct 19, 2022 7:55 am

Both of my 1966 S3s are in centigrade. D
TBG
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Quart Meg Miles » Wed Oct 19, 2022 5:33 pm

Where do you live, Jonny? The US specification packages might have included Farehnheit gauges as they still haven't converted fully to metric, not even NASA except in publications.
Meg

26/4088 1965 S1½ Old and scruffy but in perfect working order; the car too.
________________Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Quart Meg Miles
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonnyPlus2 » Sun Nov 06, 2022 5:05 am

Hello All;
Sorry to take forever in getting back but I have been looking for my book 'Dashboards' which was hiding in plain sight so it took me until today to find it in my bookcase. Here's what i found out:
8 litre Bentley water temp in C
MG-PA Oil and Water Temp in C
Aston Martin Ulster Oil Temp in C
BRM V-16 Oil Temp in C
Jaguar XK-120 Water Temp in C
Aston Martin DB 2/4 Water Temp in C
Jaguar C-type Water Temp in C
Jaguar Mk. 7M Water Temp in C
Aston Martin DBR4 F1 car Oil and Water Temp in C
Not a single temp gauge in F. That was a surprise! So, it looks as though Celsius is the official temperature scale of vintage British cars.
I'm inclined to agree with Meg that my Elan is in F because it is a North American car. Anyway, I've managed to score a Smiths 250F temp gauge which I will have refurbished and use as my oil temp gauge. Thanks to everyone for your informative and helpful posts.
Best,
Jonny B
36/6322
JonnyPlus2
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: