Weird wiring fault

PostPost by: 2tmike » Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:15 pm

This has me really puzzled.....
I'm slowly going through my '90%' finished Plus 2 that I bought recently and whilst trying to sort the electric headlight conversion issue it has, I thought I'd work through all the electrical items that didn't function and hopefully tick them off a few at a time. So far I have :
Engine starts and runs (bonus !!!) and tacho shows a reasonable display
Windows work
Wipers and washer work
Main and dip beams work
Sidelights work ....but see later
Reverse lights work
Hazards work, all four flashers
Battery condition gauge works.
No other gauges seem to work but the tank is maybe very low with fuel
Left turn indicators work but, and here's the crazy bit ....
The right turn signal illuminates the rear indicator bulb - no flashing and also illuminates the right front sidelight !!!!
Most other things are still inoperative.
The car's a late 130 plus 2 non federal and I can't see from the wiring diag any miss-connection route that would cause this . I'm a little loathe to pull the dashboard at this stage as the car is booked in for a chassis change soon but I guess it will come to that unless anyone can suggest a possible cause?
Many thanks in advance for your ideas !!!!!!
Elan S4
Elan Plus 2 JPS
MR2turbo
2tmike
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:04 pm

I'm not that familiar with a +2 but does your car have a DB10 relay? My Sprint had similar
fault and after decades of chasing it, it was the DB10 at fault.
Greg Z
45/0243K Sprint
45/7286 S3 SE DHC
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 2tmike » Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:26 pm

Not sure what a DB10 relay is but the lighting circuits on this one seem to be protected with thermal cutouts ....
Elan S4
Elan Plus 2 JPS
MR2turbo
2tmike
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: EPA » Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:20 pm

Usually when other lights glow it’s because the normal path to earth for the intended light isn’t functioning properly, in other words the ground/earth connection is poor or none existent.
The ground connections for individual light clusters usually end up at a common point which creates an alternative path through the filaments of the bulbs not in use, usually much dimmer than normal. I guess this could also reduce the total current through the flasher unit which is important to its operation.
Hope this makes sense as I tested positive for the dreaded Covid the other day and whilst feeling much better the brain still seems to be a little befuddled.
Ed
EPA
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Bigbaldybloke » Wed Mar 08, 2023 12:01 am

Mines a very early plus 2 so much different wiring so I can only make suggestions. You have proved that the actual indicator lamps and hence earths all work correctly from the hazard warning. Hence it seems it’s the indicator switch or indicator flasher that is your problem, as once you get outside the cabin area all the wiring and lamps are the same for both indication and hazard warning, so to me it looks like you are going to spend time upside down peering into the back of the dashboard, and I’d start with the flasher unit, but that’s only intuition not actual experience on this specific version of wiring. Also check out any capacitors fitted for radio suppression.
Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine!
Bigbaldybloke
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: EPA » Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:35 am

Before getting too deep into this, I would first double check that the hazard lights are all flashing with equal brightness and look closely at the adjacent lights to ensure they aren’t also flashing or glowing dimly.
Ed
EPA
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:58 am

Clean the earth points before anything else.
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Bud English » Wed Mar 08, 2023 2:28 pm

The motto for all Lotus cars over fifty: "Simplify, then add lightness and clean the earth points before anything else" :wink:
Bud
1970 +2S Fed 0053N
"Winnemucca - says it all really!!"
Bud English
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:24 am

Bud English wrote:The motto for all Lotus cars over fifty: "Simplify, then add lightness and clean the earth points before anything else" :wink:

Like it & agreed!!
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: