Temperature gauge repair

PostPost by: ericbushby » Mon Sep 04, 2023 2:23 pm

Hi all,
I have here two Caerbont Automotive dual temperature and oil pressure gauges. They are modern and on both of them the temperature sections have failed. If I can repair them then I get to keep one.
So far on the first one that I have checked the capillary tube has cracked close to the bulb which I believe is the most common failure on these gauges.
I have it apart and am now in need of some Ether. It appears that the correct fluid is Diethyl Ether but I cannot find where to get it. I did find some laboratory grade in Italy for £150.00 for half a litre !!

So, does anyone in the UK know where I can get some.?

It seems that some start sprays contain DIMETHYL Ether which is a bit different and I do not know if that will work.
Eric in Burnley
1967 S3SE DHC
Going back to the 60`s we used to buy this from the local chemists for mixing fuel for model aircraft engines.!
ericbushby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Mon Sep 04, 2023 3:02 pm

The vapor pressure versus temperature of Dimethyl ether will be greater than Diethyl ether so it will not work accuracately if you use the Dimethly ether as the fluid

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ericbushby » Mon Sep 04, 2023 4:20 pm

Thankyou Rohan,
That is what I suspected. It is good to have it confirmed.
Cheers
Eric
ericbushby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: richardcox_lotus » Mon Sep 04, 2023 4:45 pm

Mine has just failed too. It’s beyond my capabilities to repair so I’ll be contacting SpeedyCables to get a quote. Will report back!

Regards
Richard
Richard
'72 Sprint
richardcox_lotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Quart Meg Miles » Mon Sep 04, 2023 10:56 pm

It is freely available on eBay! I bought about 50 ml, I believe, a short while ago though I can't find the receipt or the bottle at the moment! I think it cost about £45 and I'll try to locate it.

I've got an oil temperature gauge too and have refilled both over the years though my water gauge hasn't worked correctly after refilling it twice recently (the last decade), it only reads about 50 degrees unless the engine overheats then it is happy to go off the scale!
Meg

26/4088 1965 S1½ Old and scruffy but in perfect working order; the car too.
________________Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Quart Meg Miles
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ericbushby » Tue Sep 05, 2023 7:18 am

Hi Meg,
I can find Petroleum Ether at that sort of price but I do not know if that is adequate. If you do find what it was that you used I would be very interested to know how well it worked. The diethal ether is available but at high prices, more than it would cost to send them to Caerbont for repair.
Are there any chemists out there who could advise?
Eric in Burnley
ericbushby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JohnP » Tue Sep 05, 2023 9:36 am

This may be what you are looking for.
https://uk.vwr.com/store/catalog/produc ... r=16767.36
About £30 for 250ml if you can persuade them to sell it to you!
JohnP
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: ericbushby » Tue Sep 05, 2023 3:44 pm

Hi John,
Thanks, that was a good try.
As I think you were expecting, they will only supply to registered companies who have an account with them.
They could not suggest anyone to go to either.
Close, but no result,
Eric in Burnley
ericbushby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Quart Meg Miles » Thu Sep 21, 2023 9:51 pm

Eric,

I've found the bottle!
It is described as Diethyl Ether and may be too late for you but here is the address on the label.

Vital Minerals Ltd
Unit 35, Mitton Road Business Park
Mitton Road, Whalley,
Lancashire, BB7 9YE

vital-minerals.co.uk
[email protected]" target="_blank

BTW I seem to have an unread message in my Outbox but is no longer relevant now that I've found the bottle.

Best of luck.
Meg

26/4088 1965 S1½ Old and scruffy but in perfect working order; the car too.
________________Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Quart Meg Miles
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ericbushby » Thu Sep 21, 2023 10:49 pm

Hi Meg, that`s brilliant, thanks. I had already found that Diethyl Ether is what I need. I have also found companies who stock it but they will not sell it to me. Whalley is only a few minutes from here. I am on the case.
I will use my powers of persuasion and outstanding charm to extract some from them. I recently obtained hydrochloric acid from a local supplier using the back door method. I have to say that it does not always work, unfortunately it seems that some people are able to see through me.
I will report back
Eric in Burnley
ericbushby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: richardcox_lotus » Fri Sep 22, 2023 2:09 pm

I have finally got around to removing my gauge. Speaking to Speedy Cables they are quoting a 8 to 10 week turnaround and a £110 price, plus vat.

SJ Sportscars have one on their website for a similar price, but the typeface looks different.

Classic Team Lotus have one on their website, but that’s a 0-60 oil and mine is 0-100.

As the prices are so similar, I shall probably get my existing one refurbed.

Good luck with all your efforts !

PS. Can anyone post in here pictures of the fitted item in the engine bay, so I can see how it’s supposed to be attached to the water valve, and also the footwell - I recall maybe a p clip on the ID plate ?

Regards
Richard
Richard
'72 Sprint
richardcox_lotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Fri Sep 22, 2023 3:01 pm

May not be entirely 'factory' but this is how I did mine. Key is to avoid a sharp bend where the capillary tube exits the bulb and to support it with the clip on the water valve so it doesn't vibrate and shear off the bulb. There is also a stainless steel P clip under one of the VIN plate screws. Hope this helps.

PXL_20230922_142503966.jpg and
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mjbeanie » Mon Oct 23, 2023 3:27 am

Just got done working thru this problem. I did exactly what was recommended to avoid below, and put too sharp a bend in the capillary tube. I went from 20C to -20 C in an instant. The gauge was now hopelessly broken. It lasted 50 years, and I broke it in 50 seconds during the installation. I kicked myself accordingly for many weeks. Swell.

I circled the globe online, trying to find someone to fix. Caerbont does have one as you noted with a different face and bright orange needle for a high price, after you order the obligatory sender as well. Pls See attached.

The new unit has updated electronics and the updated, sender is a separately purchased item.

I did locate a nice looking replacement at Kelvedon Motor sports for a reasonable price. They just got some back in stock. Take a look! and Good luck. AND Be careful on installation~!

Cheers
Mike
Attachments
IMG_1581.jpeg and
Last edited by mjbeanie on Mon Oct 23, 2023 1:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
'71 Lotus Elan Plus 2S130 (Type 50/0179)
'70 Opel GT
'67 Sunbeam Alpine
'88 Porsche 924 S
mjbeanie
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Mon Oct 23, 2023 11:02 am

The Bulb, Capillary tube and Bourden gauge are all one unit, sealed with the liquid/gas sealed in so of course the bulb (sender) is 'compulsory'.

:D :D '.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Mon Oct 23, 2023 12:40 pm

mjbeanie wrote:Just got done working thru this problem. I did exactly what was recommended to avoid below, and put too sharp a bend in the capillary tube. I went from 20C to -20 C in an instant. The gauge was now hopelessly broken. It lasted 50 years, and I broke it in 50 seconds during the installation. I kicked myself accordingly for many weeks. Swell.

I circled the globe online, trying to find someone to fix. Caerbont does have one as you noted with a different face and bright orange needle for a high price, after you order the obligatory sender as well.

I did locate a nice looking replacement at Kelvedon Motor sports for a reasonable price. They just got some back in stock. Take a look! and Good luck. AND Be careful on installation~!

Cheers
Mike

These guys can repair and refurbish your original gauge....

In the US:- https://www.nisonger.com/instrument-rebuilding.htm

In the UK:- https://www.speedycables.com/
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: