Any New Options on a Super Duper Battery ??

PostPost by: Verve » Wed Nov 15, 2023 9:54 am

Hi All ,

Has anybody found a new standard size battery ( that fits in the standard brackets ) for the S3 & S4 Elans ... that has twice the power , than the traditional 038/037 Mini/Mower batteries that are available ??

Technology must have moved on .... I don`t want a traditional cheap , weak battery ... I`m happy to pay for a decent one that will fit ( without any , or too much modification :-) ) !

Cheers ,

Paul .
S4SE Drophead , Sprint Drophead , Esprit V8 , 1978 Caterham Big Valve .
Verve
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: 69S4 » Wed Nov 15, 2023 11:16 am

I've had an Odyssey battery in my Elan for the last 10yrs and its been perfect, but it's only about 1/3 the size (and weight) of the std battery. They do bigger ones and no doubt something similar to the dimensions of the original will be available if you want to use the original clamps. They are expensive though.
Stuart Holding
Thame UK / Alpe D'Huez France
69 S4 FHC
Honda GoldWing 1800
Honda CBX1000
Kawasaki H1 500
Yamaha XS2
69S4
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Wed Nov 15, 2023 3:29 pm

& if you decide on a LiPo LiFe or other, do check which type of charger it requires.

Your dyno/alternator will be fine for anything to sustain/maintain it.
Born, and brought home from the hospital (no seat belt (wtf)) in a baby!
Find out where the limits are, and start from there
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RichardS » Thu Nov 16, 2023 8:50 am

I also use the Odyssey PC680, which I keep on a trickle charger. Had to replace last year (about £100) but the previous one lasted 14 years!
I bought an aluminium mounting plate which was easy to fit with a little fettling.
As mentioned above they are available in bigger sizes.
Would fit your criterion for newer technology and more power, if you can accept new mountings.
Richard
Lotus Elan Sprint FHC 1973
RichardS
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: 661 » Thu Nov 16, 2023 11:53 am

img_12601.jpg and

Odyssey here
Graeme
S4 SE
S2 GTS
Caterham 420R
Sold - Peterson JPS Exige
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Thu Nov 16, 2023 1:09 pm

Also Odyssey. A bit on the fence, as have to keep car on trickle charge for it to be certain it will start if left a few weeks. I think it might be down to my abuse of the battery when new, I flatten it a couple of times and used a standard charger to charge it. It been consistant like this for 8+ years thou and fine if used the car recently.

So I think they are good batteries but not the most robust....
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Lotus54 » Thu Nov 16, 2023 5:19 pm

I would suggest never using a trickle charger, but a float charger. I have left float chargers on for years and even small motorcycle batteries they last a very long time.
I have had excellent results from the Battery Tender brand and they make very small, light and inexpensive models that are fine for maintaining.
1966 Lotus Elan S3- Benelli motorcycles (various)
Lotus54
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: RichardS » Fri Nov 17, 2023 8:42 am

I perhaps used the term trickle charger loosely. I have a CTEK XS 0.8 Battery Charger 12V.
When I use my Elan for 6 or 7 months over the summer I find the battery remains fully charged with reasonably regular driving and don’t use the charger. Over the winter I leave it connected to the CTEK.
Richard
Lotus Elan Sprint FHC 1973
RichardS
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Verve » Fri Nov 17, 2023 8:59 am

Hi Guys ,

Thanks for the info` ... I do like the look of Graeme`s set up .... I notice the Odyssey PC680 has a 5 second boost of CCA ... what happens after that ... does it just drop to the usual low CCA ( or do you have to rest it ) ?

I do plan to put electric fuel pumps on my Elans , so there isn`t a "waste of time" dragging fuel back to the carb`s (particularly in less frequent use in Winter) , or overcoming vapour lock in hot Summer restarts .

Cheers ,

Paul .
Verve
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: tonyabacus » Fri Nov 17, 2023 9:23 pm

Hello Paul
As to the Odysey batteries, I used them for many years on race cars, which were usually laid up over winter for rebuilds/repairs that sort of thing. I never had a problem but every month thereabouts used to put them on a Ctek type charger and during earlier days a trickle charger and never had to replace a battery.

As you can see from the pictures submitted earlier, you can set them up on the car with a Ctek flylead that takes seconds to connect. For your own confidence have a chat with one of the Odysey technical guys who will be able to give you chapter and verse on their batteries. But with the newer style of gel type batteries the charging cycle is a bit different to the old style battery.

Several members on here have commented on the lifespan of these newer batteries and I would add my satisfaction too.
Best
Tony
tonyabacus
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: The Veg » Sun Nov 19, 2023 2:46 am

I'm using a PC925 in my Plus 2. The original retaining bracket was gone when I bought the car, so no worries about that. It's been loose in the boot but one of the things on my list of lower-priority projects is to fashion a bracket for it. Anyway, the 925 has gobs of grunt and due to its lower, flatter profile it will fit under the floorboards if I ever get them back in the car.
1970 Elan Plus 2 (not S) 50/2036
2012 BMW R1200GS
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Verve » Wed Nov 22, 2023 5:03 pm

Hi Guys ,

Thanks for all the info` & advice ... I checked out the Odyssey options ( either very slim or just a little too fat for the original S3/S4 location ) , which led me to another AGM battery made by Full Throttle (FT 438-U1R) which is very similar in size to the original style batteries ... but obviously with a lot more grunt like the Odyssey !

Anyway , I`m flying semi blind but I`ve ordered one ( £150.53 incl` postage ) & will just have to come up with a cunning plan ( as it doesn`t have ears ) to hold it down in the existing location !

Anyway , I`ll keep you posted to as whether it`s a result , or just a cock up on my part ;-) !

Cheers ,

Paul .
Verve
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: gav » Wed Nov 22, 2023 10:41 pm

Paul

You dont make cock ups - Im sure it will be fine

Gavin
One day I'll actually finish - completely - one day....
gav
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: TrevorJones » Thu Nov 23, 2023 5:29 pm

S3 battery 1a.jpg and

Hi Verve

I know I'm a bit late to the subject but thought you may be interested in my solution. The battery is an ADO AGM16L bought from Merlin Motorsport(no affiliation) and is fitted to an S3, the gel tech allows the battery to be set at any angle except upside down. This provided a solution to the battery leaping out of its brackets and rolling around the boot during exciting track days. Laying it flat keeps its mass to height ration really low and small upstands on the brackets prevent the battery sliding out sideways.
The battery does overhang the boot floor panel by around 10mm but no issue as the floor can still be slid in and fitted. small price to pay for the security of knowing the battery is not flailing around the boot as has happened many times over the last 49 years.
TrevorJones
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: gav » Thu Nov 23, 2023 7:20 pm

Mine’s a derivation of the theme - my Odyssey battery is located behind the passenger seat. It’s held in place with the Odyssey alloy holder and leans back to match the floor profile. I made a lid for it and carpeted the whole assembly so it is hard to spot. The lid is flush with the flat GRP that sits over the diff so it has made a higher loading area and freed up the boot a bit. It also shortens the battery cable and reduces the moment of inertia (slightly)....

There’s always one
One day I'll actually finish - completely - one day....
gav
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Next

Total Online: