Automatic Advance

PostPost by: miked » Mon Apr 12, 2004 10:55 am

The Lotus manual advises the lube of the weight pivots.
When a drop of oil is put on these it seems to quickly run away and they look dry when you look in there after several hundred miles.
I am a little concerned about the weights going dry and not operating correctly. Is it better to use anything else like a light grease or is the oil ok. I recently caused myself a misifire problem with putting too much in, and the dizzy cap flashed over with the oil on the inside surface. It also destroyed the rotor arm as these are dying to flash over with a high output ignition coil. Anybody have any advice.

thks Mike
Mike

Elan S4 Zetec
Suzuki Hustler T250
Suzuki TC120R trailcat
Yamaha YR5
Suzuki Vstrom 650XT
Suzuki TS185K
miked
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Mon Apr 12, 2004 11:11 am

Mike

You could try some of the adhesive spray lubes that are available for things such as bike chains and exposed gears. This is designed to cling and not be thrown off.

Rohan
In God I trust.... All others please bring data
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nebogipfel » Mon Apr 12, 2004 5:40 pm

I suggest that if the weights are clean and free moving very little lube is actually required. A little drop of light oil on the pivot points should be enough. Loads of oil floating around in the distributor will give you lots of stray sparks.

Chain lube etc is an interesting thought but it is designed to form a protective coating and is very sticky ..........

John
John

No longer active on here, I value my privacy.
nebogipfel
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: