New Battery For +2s130

PostPost by: chrishewett » Fri Apr 30, 2004 7:48 am

I have just got my +2 out of the garage with a view to finally finishing the restoration and making it a daily use car.
The first thing is the battery is dead. Any thoughts on the type and capacity of new battery I should buy? Or will anything do?
No doubt many more questions will follow!
Chris
chrishewett
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: steveww » Fri Apr 30, 2004 8:17 am

A battery will loose charge sitting on the bench for a period time. The battery might just need a charge. You can get a little tester to check the acid in the battery, some places will top up the acid for you.

Failing that buy a new battery. Not too sure about the capacity required but make sure you get one the right physical size as well.
steveww
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Sat May 01, 2004 12:34 am

I agree, check the battery water level, add if necessary and see if it can be brought back to life with a long slow trickle charge, if it's ok, put it in a Corolla and buy a new one for the Lotus unless it's a quick starting one..... I have an Optima battery in mine, it's been there through three or four Ohio winters and still works fine, lottsa cranking power and was in the car when I bought it. Not sure which exact model it is, the car's not here. I'll email you.
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JACKJABBA » Sun May 02, 2004 3:16 pm

Replaced my battery the other month. Only problem I found was getting the correct type so that you could use the original mounting system. I tried charging the old battery, it would hold a charge but went flat when trying to start the engine from cold. The new battery has made a big difference to starting.
JACKJABBA
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: chrishewett » Sun May 02, 2004 6:19 pm

What should the original mounting system be? Mine just sits in the boot. Obviously I will have to do something about it as I am likely to tip it over when cornering.
Chris
chrishewett
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Fri May 07, 2004 10:31 pm

The battery in my 69 +2 is the Optima 8000, 800 cold cranking amps which has gotten the job done a lot longer than I ever thought it would. I don't know how many years old it is but it's going strong. Made in the USA. It fits in the notch at the RF of my trunk/boot floor. Fits very snugly and I have immaturely never installed a hold down, figuring I'd have to flip the car to dislodge it but this thread has made me see the light. Mounting wise, I'll use a convential three piece unit, two threaded rods with J or T ends and an L bracket for the rear top edge of the battery. May have to strap between the T hooks underneath...
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: