Water temp sensor removal

PostPost by: RichardS » Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:10 am

As part of my ongoing refurb I thought it would be a good idea to remove the dashboard yesterday and check the heater and hoses - easier then when I have done the retrim!

Had forgotten what a fiddly job it was but have most things disconnected and should be able to remove it this evening.

But ... I have unscrewed the water temp sensor from the thermostat housing and it looks as though the larger retaining nut needs removing as otherwise I cant feed it back through the bulkhead, which I need to do to remove the oil and temp gauge. It is rather corroded - does the smaller nut on the capillary tube unscrew through the bigger nut or is it a push fit through a washer in the larger nut. Had a go yesterday and the two do not want to pasrt company!

Can post pic if my description is inadequate.

Is there a more modern solution for sensing the water temp than the old ether filled tubing that would still work with the old Smiths temp gauge?

Richard
Lotus Elan Sprint FHC 1973
RichardS
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: neilsjuke » Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:45 pm

You will find the grommet on the bulkhead is larger than the nut as the gauge must be kept in one as the tube is gas filled.
neilsjuke
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Frank Howard » Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:10 pm

RichardS wrote:Is there a more modern solution for sensing the water temp than the old ether filled tubing that would still work with the old Smiths temp gauge?

Richard,

My Europa Special came from the factory with a Smiths electronic temperature gauge however it's not a combo gauge and I'm sure the internals are completly different as well. You're probably better off refurbishing the original combo gauge (assuming it needs it).
Frank Howard
'71 S4 SE
Minnesota
Frank Howard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RichardS » Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:33 pm

neilsjuke wrote:You will find the grommet on the bulkhead is larger than the nut as the gauge must be kept in one as the tube is gas filled.

Thanks - in the light of day I realised that the grommet was hiding a larger hole than it looked! The whole assembly passed through and I have now removed the gauge.

Richard
Lotus Elan Sprint FHC 1973
RichardS
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: