Camshaft Profiles On Offer

PostPost by: mark030358 » Wed Oct 13, 2004 10:16 am

Gents,
Can anyone shed light on the canshaft profiles offered by QED ie the 360 or 420 profile. Power range, timing details etc. Any other alternatives?
cheers
Mark
mark030358
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: steveww » Wed Oct 13, 2004 11:24 am

QED 360
Duration: 280
Max cam lift: 0.355"
Inlet fully open: 105
Exhaust fully open: 110

QED 420
Duration: 285
Max cam lift: 0.418"
Inlet fully open: 102
Exhaust fully open: 109

I do not have any info on the ramp rates though. I would expect them to be only slightly more agressive than standard Lotus D.

Really depnds what you are going to use for engine for? Personally I do not rate these profiles. For road use stick with the standard Lotus D spec 272 0.36" max open 110. If you do not have these handy then both Kent and Piper do something very similar CPL2 and 270 respectively. More duration can only be made use of with higher rpm and thus steel bottom end. If you are looking for more power get the head ported and polished there is more potential there than with a cam change and this will be less expensive as well. To continue improving gas flow have the head ported to fit Weber 45 carbs.

Of course if you are racing in a formula you will be limited by the regs.
steveww
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JJDraper » Fri Oct 22, 2004 8:08 pm

I can't add anything to the technical discussion on cam profiles, but I had to get a pair of new cams in a hurry when my original cams were found to be very worn. I have no idea what the old cams were, but I fitted QED 360 cams, and have re-jetted to suit. Engine has big valves, +60 pistons (last chance) and twin Webers.

In use, I noticed a reduction in lower rev torque, but the engine really pulls after 4,000rpm! In top, around 80mph, the car picks up its skirts and flies! Down side is the slight loss of tractability round town, and a slight reduction in MPG (2 mpg down), but that may be due to the joy when it hits 4,000rpm! Engine has been perfectly sound since the head off repair over 10k miles ago (one year).

The original cams, whilst not worn on the lobes are badly worn and scored on the bearing journals at the opposite ends to the sprocket. Anyone know if they can be repaired (metal spraying)? If so, where in the UK? I do miss the low end torque sometimes.....
JJDraper
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: