Vacuum Headlight Thingys

PostPost by: Jack » Mon Jan 17, 2005 5:00 pm

Whilst taking the vacuum pod thingys off, to sort the rust before it went through, I snapped the bottom stud. Can I replace it or do I have to buy a new unit? Please bear in mind that I have run out off money on the rebuild (well alright the wife saw my credit card bill) and just want to get my plus 2 back on the road.

Thanks

Jack :D
Jack
New-tral

PostPost by: type36lotus » Mon Jan 17, 2005 5:26 pm

They were originally brazed on, at least mine were. I would expect that if you could get someone to mig weld a new bolt/stud on quickly enough to not melt the diaphragm you should be good to go. I would make sure that you did have the diaphragm up as far from the heat as possible. 2 or 3 quick spots should hold it on.
Mike Geiger
66 S3 Coupe', no more :-(
type36lotus
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: flyinggellyfish » Mon Jan 17, 2005 5:42 pm

I mig welded a replacment 1/4 unf bolt on no prob once the brazed lug was removed and all trace of braze removed . Like previous post put diaphram in up position to be on safe side .

Rick
1968 Elan +2 . Now going back together after 18 years , you just can not rush these things .<br>Rick
flyinggellyfish
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: nebogipfel » Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:58 pm

Should be no problem with a MIG welder (providing the person knows how to use it)

If you want belt and braces clamp some vice grips on the bracket above where you are welding to sink the heat away.

It really shouldn't be a problem.

John
John

No longer active on here, I value my privacy.
nebogipfel
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: