Breather

PostPost by: Matt7c » Sun Jan 30, 2005 7:23 pm

A simpler question, this time! Near the back of the the timing case on the inlet side, there is a breather. Mine is simply a piece of rubber hose that pops out and turns through 90 degreea; its only about 2 inches long. However, in the Wilkins TC book, a drawing of the engine has an extra bit of pipe running from the rubber hose, supported by a bracket. Looks about 6-8 inches long?

How big is your hose? ;)
1965 Elan S2
Matt7c
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: elancoupe » Mon Jan 31, 2005 12:03 am

The extra pipe that you refer to is called a "Road Tube". It extends down near the bottom of the gearbox, thus insuring that your chassis is well lubricated. ;)

The factory used another system which utilises a regular grommet, and a straight pipe that connects to the carburetor airbox. Just in case your TC is not ingesting enough oil past the valve guides. ;)

Seriously, either way will work fine.

Personally, I chose to run tubing to a catch bottle in conjunction with a cam cover breather tube. Less oil on the frame/ground, less oil in the combustion chambers.
Mike
elancoupe
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: flyinggellyfish » Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:53 pm

The short pipe to air box is no longer available , if you want that one as opposed to the 'open' road pipe . It had a small kink in it and a 'flame trap' . When last available they cost ?45 ish . I now know of a new supplier of these pipes , as I bought one . If you want the details of him email me .

Rick
1968 Elan +2 . Now going back together after 18 years , you just can not rush these things .<br>Rick
flyinggellyfish
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Tue Feb 01, 2005 5:16 pm

"near the back of the timing case" he says,surely the breather is near the bellhousing end,or am i missing something?
thanks
John
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Matt7c » Tue Feb 01, 2005 10:14 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-mrjxc09+Feb 1 2005, 05:16 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (mrjxc09 @ Feb 1 2005, 05:16 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> "near the back of the timing case" he says,surely the breather is near the bellhousing end,or am i missing something? [/quote]
Yes, you are missing the knowledge that what I wrote isn't what I meant! :huh:

I meant the cylinder head and, yes, the breather in question is a deal nearer the bellhousing that the timing case. It was a hard day...
1965 Elan S2
Matt7c
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: