Dipstick Blues

PostPost by: type26owner » Sat Apr 23, 2005 5:48 pm

Got another type camcover gasket (p/n 576E 0801) from DBE. It's a soft aluminum sheet frame which is about 0.75mm thick and is sandwiched between black foam that is bonded on both sides. The total thickness measures 1.5mm. Cossie? Haven't ever seen a gasket like this before. Have not gotten around to installing it yet to see if it seals okay. Was warned it tends to come apart by delaminating the foam if the camcover is removed. Can only count on using it once and then have to replace it so that is the possible downside of this gasket.

The dye filled Redline synthetic oil has bled through the Payen cork gasket to the outside surface but has not actually flowed out any oil out as a leak. Guess it's okay afterall. I'm beginning to believe this 3m Leak Sealer would wick into the pores of a new cork gasket if it's pretreated before it's installed. Bet it would not allow the oil to bleed through the clamped gasket anymore. :rolleyes:
type26owner
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: lotusanglia1965 » Sat Apr 23, 2005 10:25 pm

Hi! i think the gasket you refer to is a Cometic part, we use them on jaguars at work and they are excellent. well worth getting for the twin cam. Good luck in your continuing quest!
Martin :)
"He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy"
Monty Python's The Life Of Brian,best film ever.
lotusanglia1965
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: type26owner » Sat Apr 23, 2005 10:56 pm

Hey thanks Martin. Yup, it's a Cometic brand gasket I think too. They list all sorts of gaskets for the twinkcam. Going to purchase some of these and give them a try. Looks like they also have the ones for my son's muscle car.
<a href='http://www.cometic.com/' target='_blank'>http://www.cometic.com/</a>
type26owner
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: type26owner » Sat Apr 30, 2005 1:12 pm

Called the product engineer from Loctite and asked what to use to seal the head of the headbolt which is leaking oil. The first choice was to use 290 the wicking grade stuff but it requires there be no oil present to work correctly. That eliminated the 290. Second choice is the Instant Gasket RTV and just coat a layer around the washer and the head. It's made to stick to oily surfaces but has a 24 hour full cure requirement inspite of the misleading name. The moisture in the air reacts with the silicone and drives the curing process. Asked if I could speed it up and the answer was yes. The stuff will form a tough skin within 20 minutes at which time I can wrap the adhesive with a moist paper towel to deliver the required moisture at the maximum rate. That should do the trick if there is enough room to allow a bead of the glue all the way around without getting in the way of the camcover and it's gasket.
type26owner
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: type26owner » Tue May 03, 2005 1:57 pm

The Cometic camcover gasket I installed on Sunday is leaking oil all along the front of the cover. Perhaps the aluminum half-moons inserts to fill in the line bore openings for the camshafts I made are stickiing proud of the heads' surface by a few thou too much. If that's not the problem then there's not enough crush of the foam to fill up the amount of warping. Bummer!
type26owner
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: