Engine Woes Continued........

PostPost by: berni29 » Sat May 07, 2005 7:33 pm

It really sounds like the carb to me. With the airbox off, spray some cold start in while the engine is running and see what you get. Swap the carbs over with someone if you can. If not can you take the linkages off and swap them over on your engine?

Best of luck

Berni
Zetec+ 2 under const, also 130S. And another 130S for complete restoration. Previously Racing green +2s with green tints. Yellow +2 and a couple of others, all missed. Great to be back 04/11/2021 although its all starting to get a bit out of control.
berni29
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Sat May 07, 2005 8:23 pm

Given the info we have I tend to think it is a carb synchronization problem, I know you have "reset the linkage" but that does not mean the air flow through the carbs are the same. Have you listened through a tube to see if the suction is approx the same?
Can you speed up the rpm to approx 1500/2000 by the idle screw and pull off one plug lead at a time......what are the results? do 1 & 2 make a difference?
What is the historyof the car? Did you run it before the engine rebuild? if not could you contact the previous owner and ask what problems he had.
We are getting short of options now, if its a drophead you can also sell it to me! :rolleyes: :) :)
Brian.
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mark030358 » Sun May 08, 2005 11:34 am

Gents,
Thanks for the suggestions.

Not being an expert carb man where would I listen for suction? at the inlet?

The angine was not run before the rebuild, so I dontt know what the condition of the carbs where.What I can sty is that the car had stood for at least 12 years undriven before I bought it. I had to clean the carbs of all the old "linseed oil" as the petrol had broken down.

Regarding synchronising the carbs I did the following

1) remove accelerator cable
2) release idle screw
3) release linkage screw
4) push back on linkage to close 3&4 butterflies
5) adjust linkage screw to maintain this pressure
6) adjust idle screw

Is this correct, I cannot see how I can adjust nos 1&2 butterflies as there is no adjustment.

Brian, could you give me a call on 07971070224 if possible. I will call you back. This really is turning into a struggle.

I have thought about swapping the carbs around and that SHOULD provr or disprove the carb theory.

cheers
Mark
mark030358
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mark030358 » Sun May 08, 2005 7:22 pm

Gents,
Thanks for all your help. Spoke to Brian (aka types26/36/74) this afternoon who gave me some expert advice on carb set up. Followed his instructions and hey presto one fine sounding big valve engine. Sounds fabulous, especially without the airbox :D

Many thanks to all who contributed

Mark

ps hope I can repay the favour sometime
mark030358
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: