Oil pressure problem

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Sat Nov 24, 2007 4:14 pm

Dear all

After refreshing the engine not that long ago ( re-shimmimg the inlet valve clearances and adjusting the crank end float ) on the run down to Stoneleigh was slightly worried by my indicated oil pressure dropping to a low of 10-15 psi, where as before it was a rock steady 50 dropping to 40 when hot.......
So before dropping the sump again or taking the cam cover off (wondering if I'd forgotten to torque the main or cam nuts) decided to investigate by fitting an oil pressure gauge directly to the block which would prove/disprove the sender/gauge/voltage stabiliser,and yes,shortly after firing her up it dropped to 20 psi and then rose back to 40 and then upto 55 and stayed there........

Just need second opinions as my first thought is the pressure release valve?

Would the oil pressure release valve being steel where as the body is aluminium have any effect?

P.S. high capacity oil pump fitted as am running on high clearances as Colin preferred oil flow to oil pressure.....

John.

P.S Smilies not working.
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:09 pm

john.p.clegg wrote: Would the oil pressure release valve being steel where as the body is aluminium have any effect?

P.S. high capacity oil pump fitted as am running on high clearances as Colin preferred oil flow to oil pressure.....

John, the only effect the the different metals would have is if there is corrosion between the two and the valve is moving erraticly. Easy enough to check, though. Just pull the side plate off the pump and pull out the valve. Might have to use a magnet to get it.

I can see the pressure drop initially if your clearances are really high. How high are they?

Greg Z
'72 Sprint
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Sun Nov 25, 2007 2:02 pm

Greg
They are in spec but at the higher end.........I didn't think you can get at the release valve without removing the pump?....Maybe I have dislodged some "crud" when cleaning the gauze filter on the swinging pick-up and it's now residing near the pressure release valve (I hope)....

John :wink:

P.S.

Will keep the pressure gauge fitted to the capillary tube for the time being and monitor......I trust this more than the electrical sender.....
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: