Help part deux

PostPost by: tdafforn » Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:34 pm

all sounds pretty awful...
I think a lot of the time the starter motor gives trouble when cars a difficult to start anyway (might sound a bit confusing!
But if the car isn't started often it takes longer to start when you do start it..
This puts added pressure on the starter which then conks out..
I went through 3 starters in 3 years when I rebuilding the car and hence was only running it once in a blue moon..
Then the next thing that happens is that if you don't get to drive it often then you forget its foibles during the starting procedure and hence the car tends to stall more often (like you experienced)
I know it takes the first few runs after a lay off of a couple of months for me to remember to feather the throttle on the choke for the first 25 yds (I have to drive up a hill for the first 50yds..
Some people don't seem to have this problem, but I suspect that they have Rich idle!
Anyhow the most worrying thing is the "clonk"..
Hope it is nothing too costly!
Tim
tdafforn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: handi_andi » Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:37 pm

Thanks Tim for the speedy reply. I am with you to a certain extent and am not going to worry about most things till i have driven her a few miles as she hasnt be properly driven in nearly a year and a few shake down runs probably are required.

I just like to get all the information in my brain ready in case I need to take action as that way I can spring into gear when a window of opportunity arises

Cheers

Andy
Live life to the fullest - that's why I own a Lotus
handi_andi
Third Gear
Third Gear

Previous

Total Online: