PostPost by: triumphelan » Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:12 am

Whats the safest way to remove carbon fron cylinder head and pistons
Regards John 1969S4DHC
triumphelan
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Jason1 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:24 pm

Hi

Wire brush on a drill has worked for me over the years.

Jason
50/0951 1968 Wedgewood blue +2, 1990 Mini Cooper RSP
Jason1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elan_fan » Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:44 pm

soak the head face in redex overnight first if you are going to wire brush. Most engine reconditioners have a cold dip that will remove the carbon and they will dunk your bits if you speak to them nicely. Any rubber like the breather grommet will have to be removed first though as it will turn to balsa wood.
elan_fan
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: tdafforn » Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:07 pm

Always wondered how you made balsa wood!!
Tim
tdafforn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JJDraper » Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:43 pm

Last two times I did a head gasket change and decarbonised the pistons, I used a method I learnt with old motorbikes. First, work some clean grease (castrol LM) into the gap between the pistons and the bores; Rag strips in the bolt holes and water ways and thoroughly clean the block face. Then use a selection of suitable tools (various favourites - steel rule for the flat bits and an old screwdriver for the valve cutouts) to carefully remove the carbon. My steel rule is old and has lost the sharp edge, so is slightly blunt and pushes the carbon off rather than digs it off. This will be heresy to some but what the hell.... Be very careful not to scratch the piston itself. The main thing is to get the chunky bits off rather than have a high polish! When the pistons are reasonably clean, and all carbon dust and chunks have been cleaned away from the working area, carefully dig out the grease, along with any carbon bits embedded in it. I find a cocktail stick perfect for this. It helps to gently move the crank to move the pistons up & down to clear up the odds and ends of grease (don't lose the cam chain!). When all is clean, and no more bits can be seen (or felt), work a little fresh engine oil between piston and bore, and swill around with a fresh cocktail stick. Clean out the oil with the edge of a clean rag.

Prepare the block face for the gasket and complete the job!

Easy

Jeremy
JJDraper
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Robbie693 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:17 am

What's the best way to clean the block/head face when replacing the gasket?
Robbie693
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: