Condense - or blown head gasket?

PostPost by: b-havers » Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:08 pm

Took the +2S out today, after it has been in storage since mid-October.
It started on the first attempt :D , and was running very well. Good torque. But a layer of white smoke, just as of last year... :(

Let the engine idle for some minutes, then adjusted the Webers, and got the car runing a bit better, at ca 850rpm.

But; still smoking a bit.

After 15 minutes of calm driving, I looked under the oil filler cup, and found some small creamy stuff.

As the car has been standing still in a carport since October, can this cream be because of condense in the engine?
Or is the most likely reason a blown headgasket?

As the engine is also dripping some oil, I plan to fit new gaskets to it. Is Burton Power the best place to buy a gasket set?
How do I find out the dimension on the headgasket without removing the head (I don't want to remove the head before the gaskets are here) ?
I can see from Burton's catalogue that they offer 83,3mm, 84mm and 87,5mm gaskets. As my engine is the Big Valve 1558 ccm engine; can anyone suggest which gasket will fit?

Also; does anyone know if there is a complete gasket set available for the 4-speed gearbox?
Bjorn-Anders, Norway
'95 Caterham Seven Roadsport
'02 Elise Supercharged
ex Europa S2
ex Elan +2S 130
ex Esprit Turbo
ex Caterham SS

Life is too short to drive boring cars
b-havers
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:04 am

IF IT RAN WELL WHEN YOU PARKED IT--- a good run after a fresh oil and filter change should correct it --ed ----
dont close your eyes --you will miss the crash

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:22 am

If you've had a milder winter, where there were frequent freezes and thaws, instead of just dead sub freezing cold for months, you'll get more condensation inside the engine. Does your storage facility have heat? I'd change the oil, drive the car in warmer weather hard and fast, and see if the "smoking" goes away.
Can you tell if what's coming out the exhaust is fuel/water vapor or oil smoke?
The cream inside is water moisture but it doesn't necessarily mean headgasket problems. I've got it showing up in my still perfectly running Peugeot four cylinder for the past four winters now.
What type exhaust system do you have? I've seen them fill with moisture and create steaming when the car is started infrequently in winter months. A stock Elan muffler can trap a fair amount of water. I know it sounds a little crazy but cars left undriven through winter months in temperatures that frequently flucuate above and below freezing exhibit unique problems when brought back to life in the spring. I've heard my rear Peugeot muffler hissing after turning the car off, it's baking the ice inside!
I say watch the Lotus temp gauge and drive it.
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: b-havers » Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:32 am

Did it run well last year?
Yes - and no...

It run well all season (after I switched from Luminition to coil ignition), until the day befor the Mot.
Drove the car out of the garage, and gave it a good wash and polish. When I should drive the car back into the garage, it was totally dead.

There were spark on the plugs, petrol got to the carburator (and plugs got wet). But it wouldn't start.

So, after trying for some hours to start it, I gave up and pushed the car into the carport. The carport is next to my garage, wall on one side, and low roof.

And yes, the winter has been very mild, with almost no days with temperature below zero degrees (Celcius, that is).

Yes it could be condence, but the car was smoking a bit last season as well. And the smell is obvious burned oil....

So, I still recon the reason is a blown head gasket :cry:
Bjorn-Anders, Norway
'02 Elise Supercharged
ex Europa S2
ex Elan +2S 130
ex Esprit Turbo
ex Caterham SS

b-havers
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:47 am

these Lumination set ups are just trouble ----I have seen more cars with grief on changing over ----the 2000 liter formula cars have trouble if the ignition is left on--it screws up the halls effect and they wont start -----go back to points -----NOMEX ON ---ed

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:04 am

Oil smoke doesn't always mean blown headgasket. Breather tube and blow by come to my mind.
Are the spark plugs oily? Does your oil turn black shortly after oil changes?
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:07 am

no---but my chewing gum does lose its flavour on the bed post over night ---[sorry Lonnie]--- :lol: -ed

twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: b-havers » Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:47 pm

1964 S1 wrote:Oil smoke doesn't always mean blown headgasket. Breather tube and blow by come to my mind.
Are the spark plugs oily? Does your oil turn black shortly after oil changes?

Oil is rarther dark, yes.. But I don't remember when it was changed last time :oops: , guess it was before season 2006.. Time to do it now, then.
Spark plugs are dark but 'dry', not too oily IIRC.

I'll open the engine on Sunday (no time for it earlier), and I will try to explain how it looks and feels after I have done so.
Bjorn-Anders, Norway
'02 Elise Supercharged
ex Europa S2
ex Elan +2S 130
ex Esprit Turbo
ex Caterham SS

b-havers
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Foxie » Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:42 pm

Hej Bjorn-Anders,

Burtons are good for all Twin Cam parts and gaskets - and ask for their catalogue.

You can't check your cylinder bore without removing the head - standard bore is 83.5, but the 84 gasket would also do.

Luminition - I fitted Luminition to my Plus 2 almost 12 years ago, driven all over Europe in the meantime. It has been 100% reliable.

Sean Murray

PS: We're coming to visit you ! More than 60 British Classic cars will be arriving in Vinstra on the evening of 18th September, and leaving for Lillehammer next morning. You might like to join us !
Check out: http://www.euro-classic-photos.co.uk/co ... php?id=759
Foxie
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: b-havers » Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:05 pm

I read your PM, Sean,

Strange thing is; I'm born i Ringebu, mid between Vinstra and Lillehammer ;-) (it's about 85km from Vinstra to Lillehammer (where my eldest son lives now) , and you drive thru Ringebu ! )

The place you refer to on the map; Haverstad, is where my familyname came from; it's my grand-grand fathers farm, which I now have bougt, and plan to use as a holiday place (http://www.haverstad.net/haverstad)

Now I live just south of Oslo, so it might be that I show up somewhere along the route ;-)
Bjorn-Anders, Norway
'02 Elise Supercharged
ex Europa S2
ex Elan +2S 130
ex Esprit Turbo
ex Caterham SS

b-havers
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: b-havers » Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:35 pm

Sean,
obviously the PM didn't work (it never left my outbox), so I tried to send you a long email via the forum. Please let me know if you received it, otherwise I'll post my 'spam mail address' so you can mail me and get my real email address...
Bjorn-Anders, Norway
'02 Elise Supercharged
ex Europa S2
ex Elan +2S 130
ex Esprit Turbo
ex Caterham SS

b-havers
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: b-havers » Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:06 pm

So, I had some nice hours in the garage today, and the head is off.
Couldn't find any trace that the head gasket is blown, neither are there any unnormal wear (?) in the cylinders.

The pistons and the cylinder walls all looked and felt tight and good, though the top of the pistons were 'oily'.
The reason for the oilsmoke might be a valve guide gasket, leaking or missing, or a cracked valve. Guess the engine garage will fix this.

The oily top (and perhaps the 'smoking'..?) might also be due to incorrect balanced carbs, not?

The head will be sent off for "skimming" (da**, what is the english word for this...?) tomorrow.

Now I need to order a lot of parts:

- complete gasket set (83mm head gasket)
- Coolant hose from radiator to thermostat housing
- Collant hose from radiator to water pump
- Fan belt
- gaskets/rep kit for the two 40DCOE31 Webers
- rubber washers for the camshaft cover
- camshaft bore plugs

In addition i also need
- 2 brake slaves rear
- Thermostat, low temp (there was no thermostat in the engine now..)
- Petrol filter

Where would ne the best place to order this from?
Guess the engine parts all cam be delivered from Burton, but are there any other vendor who can deliver all needed parts?

As I will order the parts tomorrow, I would appreciate a quick response... :roll:

I assume the enginegarage will but all the needed parts for the head/cams/valves etc, so I don't order them myself....
Attachments
smallPicture 003.jpg and
The camshaft cover is off, an the head with the twin cams ar still mounted to the engine.
smallPicture 018.jpg and
The engine after the head is removed, and also after a quick cleaning...
Bjorn-Anders, Norway
'02 Elise Supercharged
ex Europa S2
ex Elan +2S 130
ex Esprit Turbo
ex Caterham SS

b-havers
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: SimonH » Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:06 pm

b-havers wrote:The reason for the oilsmoke might be a valve guide gasket, leaking or missing, or a cracked valve. Guess the engine garage will fix this.

There are no valve stem seals on a twincam engine. The valve guides and stems wear and this will give a burning oil effect. Ever followed a twincam powered car with a high mileage and seen a puff of smoke on each gearchange?
If they are a worn you would also see excessive oil on the piston top, a little would be expected after a long lay up but is burnt off in a few moments.
To resolve that, if it is that, would need new guides and valves with a head rebuild.

For the parts you could try SJ Sportscars. I have not used them but they seem to list all those parts you asked about and appear to allow you to buy online.

Cheers,
Simon
SimonH
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:20 am

I officially give up.
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: b-havers » Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:31 am

The head was delivered to a engine garage this morning.
they said they found traces of a minor headgasket crack, and they also ment that the giudes could be slightly worn.

Anyhow; they will check the whole head, and return it as good as new ,-)

I'll let you know when I have assambled the engine again 8)
Bjorn-Anders, Norway
'02 Elise Supercharged
ex Europa S2
ex Elan +2S 130
ex Esprit Turbo
ex Caterham SS

b-havers
Third Gear
Third Gear

Next