Heaters

PostPost by: gav » Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:21 pm

Hi all

I've just returned from getting my Sprint through its annual MOT. (Handbrake was a problem as usual but just made it)

Having now sorted cooling with electronic water pump system I think the time has come to sort some human temperature problems - I tend to go out in the dry only but I always have the roof off even in winter and although today wasn't desperately cold, my heater is pathetic so I froze. To increase the body temperature, I ended up flooring the car wherever I could and used some adrenaline (great fun but deals with the effect not the cause).

I really want to sort the heater problem. The matrix is refurbished and I know there is a flow going to it because with the pump running the pipes are warm (not hot) all the way along. The main cooling system has a very good flow.

The bore of the matrix and pipes is 1/2". Is this normal?

I am considring fitting a small elec pump just for the heater but i wonder if the problem is with the capacity of the matrix. There is certainly no problem with airflow and the fan is really good.

Any ideas gratefully received.

Thanks
Gavin
gav
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:22 pm

Gavin
Great idea?Fit a small electric pump and wire it to the Heater fan switch?

Look forward to any ideas....

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: cliveyboy » Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:58 am

Gav
If your heater hoses are only getting warm then that is poor flow.
There has been some discussion in the past about electric water pumps affecting the heater circuit.
Electric water pumps usually call for the removal of the thermostat.
This I believe reduces the flow to the heater.

Clive
1972 Elan Sprint FHC
cliveyboy
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: ppnelan » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:37 am

What was the engine water temperature at the time?

:arrow: Matthew
ppnelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: gav » Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:42 pm

Matthew

The engine is running around 85 degrees.

Clive

I wondered about this when I removed the thermostat hence my thought about a lightweight ancillary pump just for the heater. If this is the answer, does anyone know of such a pump (other than the Davies Craig solution which is a little dear)

Is the 1/2" bore of the heater system typical?

Thanks
Gavin
gav
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: elanmac » Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:02 pm

Check your heater tap, make sure you have a full flow. If the rubber valve swells you might not be getting enough water past it. My S3 has an 88 thermostat and the heater burns my leg.
elanmac
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: cliveyboy » Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:06 pm

Gavin
Here is a little trick to try.
Take your thermostat and remove the central part (the bit that opens and closes) just leaving the outer brass body.
Refit the thermostat.
This should give you some restriction but still allow the new pump to circulate water.
See if the heater gets hotter but just watch your temp gauge.

1/2" bore is standard size for Elan heater hoses.

Clive
1972 Elan Sprint FHC
cliveyboy
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: smo17003 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:55 pm

Gavin,

You say that the heater matrix is refurbished but was it built back into its box with sponge seal around it? Any gap between matrix and box will allow cold air to bypass the matrix.

Mike
smo17003
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: kstrutt11 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:48 pm

Gavin,

An ancillary pump for the heater was fitted to the old style Ford galxay MPV and costs aroung GBP ?60 new.

I Actually have one in the garage I used for a short while on another project (turned out the matrix was clogged), make ma an offfer? or I could shove it on ebay.

Kevin
kstrutt11
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: