How to remove a +2S TC engine???

PostPost by: carrierdave » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:02 am

Hi Bjorn,
Ralph is spot on regarding the head ? IMO I would leave the head off and put the short engine in first. Next put the exhaust manifold in position. (if you leave it until the head is on you will need to remove the side engine mount to get the manifold in)

I then removed all of the exhaust studs from the head and cut slots in the top to take a screw driver.

With the aid of the engine lift you can then lower the head into position whilst holding the manifold back

Its then easy to screw the studs back onto the head with the manifold and exhaust gaskets in place.

If you put the complete engine in you must attach the manifold to the head first or remove the studs otherwise you will not get the manifold in past the engine mount or onto the studs once the complete engine is in place.

Dave
carrierdave
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:35 am

I always use hex socket cap screws for the exhaust manifold to head join. Much easier to get the manifold on and off in situ using a ball head hex key which makes reaching the difficult ones under the thermostat housing easy. Use plenty of copper or nickel antisieze to ensure they do not sieze in the head.

regards
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: b-havers » Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:54 am

Happy message!
The guy from the engine garage visited my garage yesterday, to give the rest of the TC a look.
In his opinion there is no need for a rebore.
Just a good cleaning and paint - then get the heaed back - and fit the engine to the car.

Summer; here I come !!!
Bjorn-Anders, Norway
'95 Caterham Seven Roadsport
'02 Elise Supercharged
ex Europa S2
ex Elan +2S 130
ex Esprit Turbo
ex Caterham SS

Life is too short to drive boring cars
b-havers
Third Gear
Third Gear