brm cam cover color , cosworth block color

PostPost by: cabc26b » Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:34 am

Can any one confirm the colors used on BRM cam covers ?

I know day glow orange is listed in the lotus BRM spec , I have seen green mentioned in other places , and the engine conveyed to me with a black krinkle finish on the cam cover- with the block green and the sump black like the spec lists....

Does anyone know the paint color used by Cosworth for their twin cam blocks ?
cabc26b
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:52 am

We went to look at this works prepped Lotus Cortina (7070 KO) a year ago. Supposedly restored to a high standard and this is a photo of the engine bay, Bill Gavin took all of photos (close to 100) and the majority can be seen on Bob Woolners Lotus Cortina web site

http://www.lotus-cortina.com/photos/707 ... ko-pic.htm

The engine photos of the BRM twin cam engine by itself are off a dead web page
http://www.brmlotuselan.fsnet.co.uk/index.htm
I don't know anything about it but I saved them in 2005 from there

If you are looking for paint codes, I haven't a clue

Gary
Attachments
IMG_5919a.JPG and
IMG_5886a.JPG and
elan_brm_colorsa.jpg and
BRM_TCengine5a.jpg and
BRM_TCengine4a.jpg and
BRM_TCengine3a.jpg and
Last edited by garyeanderson on Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Old English White » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:30 am

cabc26b wrote:Can any one confirm the colors used on BRM cam covers ?

I know day glow orange is listed in the lotus BRM spec , I have seen green mentioned in other places , and the engine conveyed to me with a black krinkle finish on the cam cover- with the block green and the sump black like the spec lists....

Does anyone know the paint color used by Cosworth for their twin cam blocks ?

Hi Cab26b,
Why use a BRM cam cover !?! Because , its design apart ...
If it is for an Elan racer , think about weight , if in aluminium... The original Lotus cover is 1.4 kg lighter ... where important ( hight , on front ). You should use this lower at rear , for exemple , no!?!
If it's for a street car , last year ,"en route" for Stoneleigh , at Paul Matty , I saw a very "real one" BRM S3 based Elan , green with fluo-orange bumper and discover , on the engine , nothing more than the aluminium BRM plate on top of a standard cover , painted in the correct hammered light green .Here are the pictures (sorry for quality , Sony DSC cam!)

I think this cover should be used only then in mag , having no original cover , or when having a (too) light car (formula), or , for aesthetic considerations ... and this is not going to change your mind .
Christian.
Btw: the pictures of the bright-orange/dark-green engine show that it's dry sumped , right!?!.
Old English White
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: lotuselanman » Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:50 pm

Gidday, the BRM covers with 'BRM' written on each site colour is crinkle black.
I have one and no it is not for sale.
See ya, Les.
lotuselanman
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: cabc26b » Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:39 pm

Thanks to all -

looks like its day glow orange for the BRM cast cover - unless some one pipes up and says the orange was a 47 only color , I will be changeing it from its currently black krinkle finish - green block with black dry sump pan.

The Cosworth motor will get eiher a Blue hammertone or Red hammertone finish for the cam cover with the cosworth plate ( wet sump, with lotus down the side MK1 cam cover) - head natural with red block and black wet sump.

George
cabc26b
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:46 am

I'm not sure how valid my comments are regarding your question but:
In the past I got involved in rebuilding a number of Cosworth FVA (F2) engines.
All of the crankcases were painted high gloss Maroon.
I thought it looked smart & painted a couple of my Twin Cam engines the same colour.
I used "Humbrol" enamel & slopped on 3 to 4 heavy coats.
The smooth surface produced made cleaning up oil leaks much easier before scrutineering :wink:
Cheers
John
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: cabc26b » Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:29 am

John -

I was hoping that somebody would confrim the maroon color a being an optionj for the twincam - I have seen it in use on the BD series engines as well and thought it looked great in combination with the natural (bare) alum head. -

The only thing I am sure about at this time for the Coswoth twincam is the cam cover colors -
cabc26b
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: