Wanna learn how to get rid Of Oil Surge?

PostPost by: ceejay » Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:02 pm

Oil surge has been a pain in the ass ever since I built my elan waaay back in the mid eighties, I thought about dry sumping the twink... even made the special oil pan, but then baulked at the overall cost of the conversion.

People who compete in historic racing said to me "Build a gated sump baffle,? Mmmm, I've heard about swingers, and I know about gates.... but do you know what a gated sump baffle is?....

When I mentioned my plight to a bloke at a historic race meeting here in OZ, yep, he said, gated sump baffle is the way to go.

Well, it's good news, we've finally finished building & installing the new sump baffle set up... crikey do they work! (Just Ask Rohan).
Oil surge in the twink is now history, throw the elan at the tightest/fastest right hand corner you can find on the road or the race track, it don't matter, the result is the same... zero oil surge!

The best part is that for the ridiculously low cost of $20.00AU, we fabricated some bits of sheet metal & machined components into a sump baffle system that has totally cured the dreaded oil surge problem, now it's fun to keep the boot into the throttle when entering/exiting right hand corners in the elan, and there's not even a hint of a waver of the oil gauge needle... it's bloody remarkable!

To be honest, there's just no need to spend hundreds of dollars to cure oil surge... Wanna read & learn more about this great oil control method?
Visit: http://www.elantrikbits.com/baffle.html

Col.
ceejay
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:43 pm

Col
If you haven't got anything to stop surge,try fitting a low pressure switch and a big red bulb....you'll be suprised.....the oil gauge is dampened and only shows a drop of pressure when it's too late......that's why I made up a swinging pickup (a la bean catalogue) and I have had no worries since....

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ceejay » Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:13 pm

G'day John.
Oh we've cured the oil surge problem all right, from the moment the new
baffle system was installed in the twink the oil surge problem just disappeared, we now have full 100% oil pressure at all times.

There's no need carry out any major work to enlarge the standard sump with things like side wings which look pretty ugly anyway.

All of the fabricated components fit neatly into the standard sump,
(Old baffle plates have to be removed of course) with this system the untrained eye would hardly know that your engine has a baffle system nearly as good as a dry sump!

I have heard about the DB swinging pick up, and not even sure if that is still available, but the question begs to be asked, over time, do you think that the pivoting section of the pickup will eventually wear and allow the pump to draw air?

I have also seen photos of complex fabricated sheet metal set-ups built for twin cam sumps, they are expensive and I would question whether they really work 100%.
Col.
ceejay
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:10 pm

Col

No,I'm happy as the swinging joint is under oil the majority of the time,well lubricated and only has to seal when pushing the plus2 in long sweeping bends........have not seen the oil light come on since installing it....five years now I think...

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: lotuselanman » Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:14 pm

Gidday Col,
Oil surge is an interesting topic, many moons ago I made a trap door setup for my Lotus Cortina. Worked great.
I would like to view your ideas but will not purchase via Pay Pal due to bad previous history.
Is there another method of payment acceptable to you ?
I live in SEQ.
Thanks, Les.
lotuselanman
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: